Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual monitor radeon-visiontek help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 webgem

webgem

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

Im going to do the best I can to describe my problem. but obv the reason I am asking for help is I dont really know whats going on. So heres the story....

I have two monitors set up side by side and I recently wiped everything to upgrade to windows 7 and can not for my life get the second screen to work. The video card a couple years old, 3 at least, ati radeon visiontek x1550 (if it can be all of those, seems like make and model of a car to me, whatever) To the best of my knowledge I have all the proper drivers installed. Downloaded them straight from visionteks website ( http://visiontek.com/downloads.html on the tabs hit graphics cards, x1000, windows 7 ) and if i try to update I am told i have the best version. In the display settings for screen resolution it shows 3 monitors and appears to think that two are plugged in. I have been messing around with what seems like every possible combination of mergeing-extending desktops, detecting and identifying screens etc.

monitor 1 is set as my main display, lists dell e176fp (my best guess is this is just the monitors model number? because in all my efforts I have switched which monitors are plugged in to which ports and the used to be different)

monitor 2 says "display device on: VGA" I have no idea what this means. But it seems to be the only way that the multiple display tab lets me "extend desktop to this display"

Monitor 3 says "display device on: Component" again, no idea what that means. It is a black box and seems unresponsive/non-detected for instance will not let me select a resolution option. This all makes sense to me because I only have 2 monitors. I only mention because it is there and I dont know the difference in component and VGA. Maybe this is the option thats actually plugged in.

Now my real problem. I had two screens set up before i upgraded and everything in the display settings seems like how i remember it working. monitor two seems like my computer thinks it is there. I can change the resolotion, make it my primary monitor which causes my task bar will vanish, My mouse will disappear off to the side and I can drag anything off the screen. The second monitor is just always black. When I click identify I get a giant 1 on one screen and nothin on the other. The only way I can ever see a 2 or a 3 is if i "duplicate desktop" and then It puts both 1-2 or 1-3 respectively on the same monitor.

Its literally like its not plugged in...Whichever monitor I have plugged directly into the video card works, and whichever one is plugged into the original...umm...port?...on the tower is black. The only way I have found to get that port to work is if I remove the videocard completely, then my computer seems to remember that there is, in fact, another monitor plugged in that functions.

Ill do my best to help with any questions, I have tried to be complete but Im not sure what all I have mentioned is even relevant. If anyone thinks they can help Id love a suggestion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

First off I would download the drivers from AMD the will have the best drivers for your Card. Its likely a driver issue and the current one you are using is not compatible with windows 7. For your connections I am surmising that you are connecting one monitor to the Onboard video and one monitor to the Radeon Card?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 webgem

webgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:35 AM

ok... slightly more confused now. Googled AMD drivers, went to the first link download drivers from

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

Left me with basically the same problem except now in the display settings monitor 2 (VGA) seems non responsive and useless and monitor 3 (component) is the only one that wants to look like it is connected. Kicker to that being it wont allow a resolution higher then 720x576, which is still irrelevant for now because the screen is still just black.

Whats the difference in VGA-component, what are they each referring to?

And assuming onbard video means -the plug that the original monitor would be plugged into had I not added a video card- then yes one in the onbard video and one in the radeon card

There is some jargon on the AMD site that seemed to say this card might just not work with windows 7? Could that mean I might just be screwed in general?

#4 webgem

webgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:53 AM

Im getting frustrated and a friend suggested I just try a splitter instead... If I stroll into walmart and splurge 15 bucks should that allow me to just plug them both in the video card and make my life easier? would the resolution be be hurt at all? I dont need crazy gaming video quality i just want 1280x1024 on both screens. its just more convenient to have more space with multiple internet windows up and such

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

If you use the splitter you will get the same picture on both monitors and not be able to extend your desktop.

Your video card supports both monitors.. Connect one monitor to the VGA port then use the DVI-I to Vga adapter and connect the second monitor. Disable your on-board video in the bios. The difference between component and VGA the component is either HDMI or RGB (red, Green, Blue) generally provided by adapters to the DVI-I port.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 October 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 webgem

webgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

ok im really sorry but i think im going to bother u one more time. Just so that I actually know what your talking about...in caveman terms...

Leave monitor 1 connected where it is, straight into the video card

find an adapter that takes the other port (its white, a little bigger, and square opposed to the trapezoid shape of the monitor plug) and allows me to plug monitor 2 directly into the video card as well.

And anychance you can give me a walkthrough on how to disable the onboard video. I dont really like the word BIOS. I messed around in that alternate start up menu(blue screen, reminded me of MS-DOS) for about 2 minutes a couple years ago and decided it scared me. Since then anything more complicated then a virus scan I have had a friend take care of but shes out of town

#7 webgem

webgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

ok... I got the adapter... plugged it in and everything just worked sooo... Im not gonna bother messing around with bios stuff because it doesnt seem like there is any reason to right now.... thanks a lot for the help

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

You welcome, And you can leave the other video card alone if its working properly.:thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users