Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image search engines not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crosswind

crosswind

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what on earth could be causing this because it's starting to drive me crazy. I have tried multiple image search engines (Google Images, Yahoo Images, Bing Images...) on both my parents' computer (Windows XP Home, IE8, running MalwareBytes and McAfee, malware free) and my laptop (Windows 7 Pro, Firefox, barely three weeks out of the box, also running Malwarebytes and McAfee and malware free). They don't work.

The regular web searches work fine, but the image searches will not work. If I try to use them, the thumbnails for the images will appear with a 'loading' image on each of them, they will sit there for several moments and not load previews, and eventually firefox will tell me that the server at Google (or Yahoo, or Bing, or whatever I'm trying to use) is taking too long to respond and the request has timed out. Exactly the same thing happens if I try to use IE8 or Chrome which are also installed on my laptop. Restarting the browser does not fix this, nor does restarting the computer. Occasionally the first search I attempt in a session will work, especially if I type what I'm looking for into a regular web search and then click on the Images tab of the search engine, but I'm lucky if that happens and afterwards I'm shot.

Both computers are running on a wired connection through the same modem. The connection is ADSL, line speed about 3mbps, typical connection speed about 1.4mbps. It's definitely not shaping/out of data, because we have 50gb/month on peak and 50gb/month off and don't come close to eating that much data. Every other website works pefectly!

Typically, TinEye works fine - but the majority of the time I'm looking for new images. I'm starting to stuff up schoolwork because I can't find the necessary images, so if anybody would help it would be much appreciated!!

EDIT: This has been happening for several weeks, possibly about two months or so. Before I got this laptop, at any rate.

Edited by crosswind, 22 October 2010 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hi crosswind,

I think your computer is too fat.

What computer you use .. How many processes and services you have running, what is Working Set of explorer.exe after the restart of computer .. The softwares running in real time you use .. Tell me everything.

PROROOTECT
W.XP SP2, 1GB RAM, 13 proc, 18 svc
ALL FREE:
On-Demand: XueTr, Radix, ProcNetMonitor, SpyDllRemover, StreamArmor... linxer ah!
Preventive +: my F-wall = Seconfig XP; StartupMonitor, Tiny Watcher ...= PREVENTION
Web Proxies - they block malwares: PROXIFY, VOProxy, SurfingIncognito, Tor-proxy, UnblockWorld .. yes, Freedom is Everything!
Search engines I use: Google custom (NOT safe), Yippy (safe only on 'New Window'), Infospace (safe), ZUULA Search (safe, + safe also on New Window), DuckDuckGo (safe, also on https), Blekko (safe) ..
NO AntiVirus, NO Java JRE, NO Adobe Reader ... No,no,no!..
VOP forum: http://forums.voiceofthepublic.com/smf2/index.php

#3 crosswind

crosswind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:08 AM

Computer:
Dell Studio 1558 laptop
Intel Core i7-620M (2.7ghz, dual core, hyperthreaded - computer picks this up as 4 CPUs)
6gb RAM, 12gb paging file
640gb HDD, around 10% full
Mine is the only user account, nobody else touches this computer.

Immediately after a restart:
Physical Memory 6004mb
Cached 1506mb
Available 4656mb
Free 3490mb
CPU is idling at 1%, up to 5% when I'm typing or moving the mouse.

79 processes running of which 27 show up in Task Manager: process (description)
atieclxx.exe
BTTray.exe (bluetooth tray application)
conhost.exe (Console Window Host)
csrss.exe
DSUpd.exe (DataSafe Update Launcher - stuff from dell)
dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager)
explorer.exe (Windows Explorer)
FF_Protection.exe (FF_Protection)
firefox.exe (Firefox)
iTunesHelper.exe (iTunesHelper)
mcagent.exe (McAfee Security Center)
plugin_container.exe (Plugin Container for Firefox)
quickset.exe (QuickSet)
Rainlendar2.exe (Rainlendar2)
Rainmeter.exe (Rainmeter - A Customizable Resource Meter)
rundll32.exe (Windows host process)
sprtcmd.exe (Dell Support Center updates)
STService.exe (ST Servicce Scheduling)
sttray64.exe (IDT PC Audio)
SynTPEnh.exe (Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements)
SynTPHelper.exe (Synaptics Pointing Device Helper)
taskhost.exe (Host Process for Windows Taks)
taskmgr.exe (Windows Task Manager)
Toaster.exe (Dell Datasafe Local Backup)
usbflashcopy.exe (usbflashcopy)
winlogon.exe

I have already culled my startup programs hard, here is everything that's set to run on startup:
msnmsgr (Windows Live messenger)
USBFlashCopy (useful data backup program which I set to run on startup)
Rainlendar2 and Rainmeter (desktop rice)
FAStartup (irritating remnant of some facial recognition bloatware which I uninstalled weeks ago; CCleaner cannot disable it.)
mcui_exe (McAfee)
DellSupportCenter
iTunesHelper
SynTPEnh
SysTrayApp
QuickSet
FreeFallProtection (supposed to protect my hard drive from damage if the computer is dropped)
RunDLLEntry
Launcher (Dell)
DSUpdatelauncher (Dell)
STToasterLauncher (Dell)
Bluetooth.lnk
Rainmeter.lnk
Dropbox.lnk
I have googled everything in this list and it's all apparently necessary... I disabled everything that wasn't.

There are a huge number of services running but a lot of them seem to be stopped at the moment. I will type out the list if you want me to.
I'm not sure what you mean by Working Set of explorer.exe after a restart - how do I find this?

Thanks for the help!!! :D

#4 PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi crosswind, sorry,

You wrote: '79 processes running of which 27 show up in Task Manager: process'... Just kidding - Have you hidden processes?..
Look for your hidden processes - run SpyDllRemover (it's for Windows7 also ..): http://securityxploded.com/spydllremover.php
.. also download GMER (works on Windows7 too): http://www.gmer.net/ , and look on Processes tab., also for Memory of explorer.exe.
'Working set' in Process Explorer - is called 'Mem Usage' in Windows Task Manager (on my Windows XP).

You have Windows7, right?.. perhaps x64?..

1. Have you removed all junk files (history etc.) in your browsers (IE., Firefox)?..

2. Perhaps your problem is caused by some software you're using? Remove McAfee then look .. Have you an heavy screensaver? Mouse freezes? Look here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic10830.html

3. For FAStartup process, and SysTrayApp.exe - rename process, then kill this process in your Task Manager, or better: for make this use SpyDllRemover, or GMER or XueTr.. And did which process in your Task Manager is resource hog when a picture download?
Download XueTr (it's very good & safe this antivirus & anti-rootkit which I use all days - it's for Windows7 also): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.xuetr.com/&rurl=translate.google.com Have you something in red on XueTr?.. Run MBAM Malwarebytes also, download free version here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

4. For try your services, you have BlackViper site: http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm , also Smallvoid.com: http://smallvoid.com/articles/windows-7-win7/services-guide/

5. Have you Restore point, or backup - before your problems?..

P.
ALL FREE:
On-Demand: XueTr, Radix, ProcNetMonitor, SpyDllRemover, StreamArmor... linxer ah!
Preventive +: my F-wall = Seconfig XP; StartupMonitor, Tiny Watcher ...= PREVENTION
Web Proxies - they block malwares: PROXIFY, VOProxy, SurfingIncognito, Tor-proxy, UnblockWorld .. yes, Freedom is Everything!
Search engines I use: Google custom (NOT safe), Yippy (safe only on 'New Window'), Infospace (safe), ZUULA Search (safe, + safe also on New Window), DuckDuckGo (safe, also on https), Blekko (safe) ..

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Both computers are running on a wired connection through the same modem. The connection is ADSL, line speed about 3mbps, typical connection speed about 1.4mbps. It's definitely not shaping/out of data, because we have 50gb/month on peak and 50gb/month off and don't come close to eating that much data. Every other website works pefectly!

EDIT: This has been happening for several weeks, possibly about two months or so. Before I got this laptop, at any rate.

Do NOT remove McAfee. There is no evidence that McAfee is the cause of your issue.

There is also no evidence that a running process could be the cause, and in fact is most likely NOT the cause because you said that regular search works perfectly.

Did you have more than one computer at the time the issue began?

I'm wondering if it could be a router issue. If possible, connect one of the computers directly to the modem and see if the problem exists. If not, then you'll need to look at the router as a cause of the problem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 October 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#6 PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

You're right surely, thank you Queen-Evie!.. :thumbsup:
ALL FREE:

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

If it's a router issue, try resetting the router to factory defaults if you haven't already done that or mucked through router settings.

If no joy from the above, and you have access to another router, try it.
No access to another router? Might be time to get a new one.

#8 crosswind

crosswind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

Sorry, I left out the operating system in my last post! *facepalm* Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.
There are no junk files on this computer, I run Piriform CCleaner religiously once a week. Malwarebytes (which is up to date) detects no malware; Spybot Search and Destroy detects no malware.

My parents' computer (Windows XP SP2) has exactly the same problem, and has had since before I got this laptop. Unfortunately they don't trust me to know what I'm doing; it's malware free, but full of three years' worth of accumulated junk and they're still using Internet Explorer :/
Both computers are plugged directly into the modem. The best description of the setup I can think of is this. We have three phone lines coming into our house - one is the landline telephone, one is for the fax, and one for the internet. The Internet line plugs into the back of the modem, which has one phone line in port and four ethernet out ports. My computer and my parents' computer are plugged into the ethernet ports.

I don't think there's a router involved?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Sorry, I left out the operating system in my last post! *facepalm* Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.
There are no junk files on this computer, I run Piriform CCleaner religiously once a week. Malwarebytes (which is up to date) detects no malware; Spybot Search and Destroy detects no malware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My parents' computer (Windows XP SP2) has exactly the same problem, and has had since before I got this laptop. Unfortunately they don't trust me to know what I'm doing; it's malware free, but full of three years' worth of accumulated junk and they're still using Internet Explorer :/
Both computers are plugged directly into the modem. The best description of the setup I can think of is this. We have three phone lines coming into our house - one is the landline telephone, one is for the fax, and one for the internet. The Internet line plugs into the back of the modem, which has one phone line in port and four ethernet out ports. My computer and my parents' computer are plugged into the ethernet ports.

Please update to XP SP3, and maintain a properly updated computer. MS has stopped supporting Windows XP SP2 and earlier versions. They only support Windows XP SP3.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

A modem with 4 ethernet post is also a router.

It's just integrated/combined.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 crosswind

crosswind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:57 AM

Hmm... that's interesting! Thanks for the advice! I use CCleaner more for removing junk files (temporary internet files, browsing history, temporary program files...) than for cleaning up the registry, but I had been under the impression that the odd registry clean out was necessary, so thanks for the help! Whenever I have blitzed the registry I have backed it up, but a registry backup wouldn't be overly useful on an unbootable machine :/
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to go into a similarly-stuffed computer with a Ubuntu disk and somehow install the registry backup to get Windows to boot again? (I have heard of people using Ubuntu disks to bypass a Windows password - apparently the 'Try Ubuntu' option loads a desktop environment from which most files can be accessed.)

I'm not 100% sure what my parents' computer is running anymore because they've reformatted it a few times, dxdiag gives the following: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600). Unfortunately I have no control over what they do with their computer, I have tried to tell them multiple times that they can't just leave it to stagnate with its default software on it and expect never to have a problem with it but they don't really get it. I finally convinced them yesterday to ditch Internet Explorer after a few angry phone calls to the ISP failed to get the ISP's website to load; after I demonstrated that Internet Explorer would not load it but Firefox and Chrome both did, they finally seemed to get that alternatives to IE exist - something I've been trying to convince them for about three years. It's a slow process where their computer is involved I'm afraid :/
Anyway, if their operating system is out-of-date I can try a guerrilla installation (which I have done to them before) - would they be likely to notice the difference?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate your time - this is an annoying problem! Does anybody have some more suggestions for getting the stupid image searches to work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users