Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Battery Meter On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 channo85

channo85

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

i had to do a system restore on my laptop, and afterwards i noticed that whenever i unplugged my laptop so that it only runs on the battery, there is no battery icon (on the bottom taskbar) like there was before. the little icon of it being plugged in is always there. also i cant go through the control panel to see how much is left of my battery.

i get this: Posted Image

can someone help me fix this? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

hello' What is the make and model of your laptop?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 channo85

channo85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:08 PM

Gateway 7325GZ

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

try this

Does typing this bring up the Status inicators?

FN(the key between Ctrl and Alt )+F1 keyboard combination turns status indicators on and off.

AC power
Wireless Ethernet
Caps lock
PAD (Num) lock
Scroll lock
Hard drive access
Battery status
Power/Suspend
---------------------------------or

If the power cord or battery icon does not appear on the taskbar, click the show hidden icons button. If the icon still does not appear, verify that Always show icon on the taskbar is checked on the Power Options Properties Advanced tab

Follow these steps to change advanced power management settings.

In Windows XP, from the Start menu, click Control Panel. With Control Panel in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance.

In the Performance and Maintenance window, click the Power Options icon.

In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

On the Advanced tab, from the Power buttons list, click the power setting mode you want to use.

Click OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 channo85

channo85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

thanx for your reply :thumbsup:

FN+F1, turned all the indicators off and on, but it didnt effect the battery icon on the bottom taskbar

and i turned off the feature that hides unused icons, so all the the taskbar icons are shown

and...
Posted Image

but still there is no battery meter

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

OK let's see what's next

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:14 AM

I'm not sure it will help with your problem but you can search for missing and corrupted system files by clicking Start>Run and typing sfc /scannow then Enter. The utility may ask for your Windows XP CD.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 channo85

channo85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

i did sfc /scannow and it did ask for my windows xp cd. i dont have a windows xp cd, but i do have my restore disks... i dont think that'll work, will it?

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

I believe, but have no practical knowledge, you can use the Restore disks provided they have a folder called I386 on them. Put your restore CD(s) in the drive and cancel the autostart if it appears, then have a look at them with Windows Explorer. If/when you find the I386 folder carefully write down the full path e.g. D:\Gateway\XPfiles\Somefolder\I386.
When you run sfc /scannow and it asks for the windows CD click 'Cancel' and it should ask for the location of the windows files. Type in the path you wrote down above but excluding the \I386.

Let us know if that works. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 channo85

channo85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

thanks for your reply, i will try what you suggested but right now i'm buried with finals and papers. so after next week i'll reply and see if it worked....

#11 channo85

channo85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

i'm really sorry it took forever to respond. the folder i386 is in CD2 of the recovery disks. when i click "cancel" it does not ask for the location of the windows files. if this is the folder u are talking about, then what should i do next?

Posted Image

edit: the same folder is in CD3 and CD4 (there are 4 CDs altogether)

Posted Image

Edited by channo85, 05 April 2006 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users