Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command Lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hello BC.

I don't like using the mouse, I like using the RUN command (WinKey + R). I know that to open up a website in the default browser, simpily type in the URL of the website. and I know how to specifically designate IE to open up a new window with a URL in it, you type in "iexplore (URL)".

I also know plenty of commands like
--> windows reg --> winreg (don't use this unless you know what winreg is)
--> notepad --> Notepad

Plenty of other goodies are out there, but I will leave that to who wants to explain them all.

what I need is a firefox run command. How to open up a new firefox window in the RUN box.

I don't wanna know that firefox has multiple browsers inside one window, I wanna know how to open up a new window of firefox from the run command.

Thanks BC users

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

Most likely FireFox is not in your 'path', so will will need to type in the path + filename.

For me to open FireFox from the run box, I would need to type in:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:20 PM

OK, looks like I am sticking with IE... Thanks

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

You *could* save a short .bat file in your path that would allow you to open FireFox with a simpler command (such as "FF"). If you'd like to do that, let me know.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:34 AM

Good Run commands? How about cmd /k sc delete $sys$aries for Sony's rootkit?
*still mad at & disgusted with Sony*

For Firefox, just type in firefox.exe. Also firefox.exe -p will launch the Profile Manager.

Lets see .... there's always good ol' msconfig. I used that quite a bit to cut down on the number of programs launched at startup. If you're on XP, you can also use msconfig to easily enter Safe Mode:
Run > MSCONFIG > BOOT.INI Tab > Check /SAFEBOOT (DON'T MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE) > Reboot your computer & you'll boot into Safe Mode. When you're done, just go to Run > MSCONFIG > BOOT.INI Tab > Uncheck /SAFEBOOT > Reboot. It's easier than trying to tap the right key at just the right time.

Regedit is alway handy as long as you know what you're doing. And cmd will quickly launch the command prompt.

Ummm .... can't think of any more right now...

Edited by WhyBeNormal, 23 November 2005 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:20 AM

I tend to wonder why you need this command. Using the Quick Launch shortcut for Firefox on my system results in a new window every time (I routinely run 4 open windows with 10 to 15 tabs in each).

I even found a nifty little FF extension called IE Tab (Not IEView) that allows me to view IE pages in FF (it's got some bugs tho')
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users