Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help removing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davislove

davislove

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

I have a computer I bought several years ago when my previous computer died. I had my old HD put into the one I bought.
Over the summer my computer started making squeaking and crunching noises. I opened it up and traced the sound to the hard drive.

This drive has a harness that I assume ties into the other hard drive. (It's a rats nest in there and I thought I'd seek answers before investigating further). There's another red flat cable that goes to the mother board.

If you could help me bypass the bad drive i'd appreciate it greatly

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi Davis

Are the drives connected like this?
A ribbon cable about 3 inches wide runs from one drive to the other with a red stripe facing the white power connector on the drive. Then the ribbon cable connects the drive to the motherboard.

Is that the way they go?

Also, whats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Guppie

Guppie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Over the summer my computer started making squeaking and crunching noises. I opened it up and traced the sound to the hard drive.

Before touching anything, if your drive is still readable, I'd recommend backing everything important up first, before touching anything. If the bearings are about to go, this may be your last chance to get your data off the drive. If the drive's already non-functional, you either: trash it; send it out for data recovery ($$$); or try a couple of desperate tricks to get it spinning one last time.

I'd be surprised if a squeaking/crunching drive still boots up (or boots up for much longer). Also, sometimes such noises are actually coming from somewhere else, such as a cooling fan or such.

This drive has a harness that I assume ties into the other hard drive. (It's a rats nest in there and I thought I'd seek answers before investigating further). There's another red flat cable that goes to the mother board.

A "red flat cable" usually means a modern SATA drive, most PATA cables being wide gray ribbons (except for those rounded or colored PATA cables case-modders used to use). So you'll want a replacement drive to be of the SATA type. Generally, desktop computers use 3.5" drives, although other sizes do exist (2.5" mostly in notebooks, other sizes encountered more rarely).

If you could help me bypass the bad drive i'd appreciate it greatly

By "Bypass", do you mean you just want to ditch the drive entirely and have no interaction with it? Pretty simple then, just pull out the drive (disconnecting the two cables in the back), and make sure the two cables connected to it previously are connected to the new drive (which should have two connectors of the same shape as your old drive). After that, assuming you pulled nothing off your old drive, you'd have to re-build your system from whatever recovery disks or installation CDs you have, as the new drive will be a blank slate. Typically, Windows installation or recovery disks are bootaable, meaning you can stick it in your CD drive, then tell the BIOS during start-up to boot from CD (exact option for getting to this option varies with PC manufacturer, but usually hit something like ESC, DEL, or F12 during initial BIOS startup screen, to get to a menu somewhere).

If your old drive is still working, and you wish to clone everything onto a new drive, then that's a little bit more complex. When I do this, I usually get some partitioning software on a bootable CD, such as Gnome Partition Editor (Available Free). I then hook up both drives at once (find an extra power connector, and an extra SATA port), then boot from CD, then use the partitioning software on it to copy everything over to the new drive (being very careful to copy old drive to new, and not vice-versa). Then I swap drives once I'm sure the new drive is booting right (need to make sure the new drive is a primary and not logical partition, and that it is set to Active).

#5 davislove

davislove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the responses, I don't have as much access to a computer right now. I apologize for the delay.

Are the drives connected like this?
A ribbon cable about 3 inches wide runs from one drive to the other with a red stripe facing the white power connector on the drive. Then the ribbon cable connects the drive to the motherboard.

Is that the way they go?

Also, whats the make/model of the system?

no it's a cable with 3 wires connected to a coupling type thing. with a red wire about 1/2 wide going to the mother board

its a compaq sr2150nx

Please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

right now I can't get the computer to boot up.

Before touching anything, if your drive is still readable, I'd recommend backing everything important up first, before touching anything. If the bearings are about to go, this may be your last chance to get your data off the drive. If the drive's already non-functional, you either: trash it; send it out for data recovery ($$$); or try a couple of desperate tricks to get it spinning one last time.

I'd be surprised if a squeaking/crunching drive still boots up (or boots up for much longer). Also, sometimes such noises are actually coming from somewhere else, such as a cooling fan or such

I don't think it works any more. I try to start it up and it ask if I want to start it in safe or normal or the other options. either way it won't do anything but go back to the page asking how I want to start up again. I got in close and the noise is from the drive. I'm open to some desperate tricks if you have any?

A "red flat cable" usually means a modern SATA drive, most PATA cables being wide gray ribbons (except for those rounded or colored PATA cables case-modders used to use). So you'll want a replacement drive to be of the SATA type. Generally, desktop computers use 3.5" drives, although other sizes do exist (2.5" mostly in notebooks, other sizes encountered more rarely).

I actually already have another drive in the computer. I need to bypass this bad one, or just remove it but I think it's tied in with the other one.

Pretty simple then, just pull out the drive (disconnecting the two cables in the back), and make sure the two cables connected to it previously are connected to the new drive (which should have two connectors of the same shape as your old drive). After that, assuming you pulled nothing off your old drive, you'd have to re-build your system from whatever recovery disks or installation CDs you have, as the new drive will be a blank slate.

what do I do with the cables that are connected to drive that i'm keeping? and why would i lose everything off the good drive?

thanks

#6 Guppie

Guppie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

I actually already have another drive in the computer. I need to bypass this bad one, or just remove it but I think it's tied in with the other one.

There is a second hard drive in your computer besides the bad one? I am curious what you mean by "tied in", is this a RAID array? If so, then this may be a more advanced configuration than what we were expecting you had, so please forgive the mis-understanding.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Just so we can nail down what the hardware is:

Molex power connector:
Posted Image

SATA power connector:
Posted Image

PATA ribbon cable:
Posted Image

SATA cable:
Posted Image

Which two types are connected to the drive?

#8 davislove

davislove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

Just so we can nail down what the hardware is:

Molex power connector:
Posted Image

SATA cable:
Posted Image

Which two types are connected to the drive?

those are the two. thanks. I'm sorry for my delay in responding

#9 davislove

davislove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

There is a second hard drive in your computer besides the bad one? I am curious what you mean by "tied in", is this a RAID array? If so, then this may be a more advanced configuration than what we were expecting you had, so please forgive the mis-understanding.

Before I broke this current computer, I broke the one prior. I have a gift I guess.

when I bought the computer that i'm having problems with now, I took it to a computer store and had them install the drive © from a past computer to preserve the stuff I had saved.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

So where exactly in this process are we?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

The red cable is the data cable. If you disconnect this from the hdd it will effectively be out of the system.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

The drive on this system slides out the front
Here is a tutorial on how to remove the front besel and the hard drive
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users