Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC and Peeling Windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

My computer was running really slow so I ran AVG Antivirus and Ad-Aware but nothing untoward was detected. I thought maybe it was full of junk ( I didn't know what was junk and what wasn't) so I decided to reformat. I did this and everything seemed fine initially. It was opening and closing programs very quickly. That was a few weeks ago and yet again the same thing is happening again. Its started running really slow. The windows don't close instantly but peel down ever so slowly.

I downloaded all the updates after I reformatted from Microsoft like it advised and ended up with all these:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 185.00MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 208.00MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 28.04MB

Could this have anything to do with it's performance? Anyway, today I ran Avg Anivirus and Analyzer. No virused were detected but it did detect 868 errors:( Ad-Aware hasn't shown up any spyware or malware.

My System Properties are Windows XP Home Version 2002. I have an IntelŪPentiumŪ4 CPU 3.00GHz and 448MB of RAM

I don't have games, lots of photos and music files. Only regular stuff like MS Office and the like

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

<<today I ran Avg Anivirus and Analyzer...>>

What is Analyzer?

448MB of RAM can run XP...adding Office increases the toll on the system. If you have many other such applications installed...you need to look at removing them...or increasing the amount of RAM for the system, IMO.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

Try running MalwareBytes AntiMalware
Get the free one
Install and update it and run the full scan.
It could take a couple of hours so go shopping for a while
See how many things it finds and if the system is better

I used to use Ad Aware years ago.
IMO MalwareBytes is a much better tool

Also, what version of AVG?
Did you recently upgrade to 2011?

Edited by Eyesee, 22 October 2010 - 04:24 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Louise :trumpet: Analyzer is a free one off trial that comes with the free version of AVG 2011. It scans the whole system looking for errors in the registry and such, then fixes them for you.

Thank you Eyesee :inlove: I'll give it a go :cool: "It could take a couple of hours so go shopping for a while" :flowers: Yeah window shopping for a new RAM by the sound of it :thumbsup:

Edited by Oopsadaisy, 23 October 2010 - 01:40 AM.

#5 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Thanks again:) I've ran the malwarebytes and nothing showed up. I've removed office media content to save a bit space so it is running a little faster now : ) I've never had the problem with the windows peeling down slowly before and now I'm just curious as to why this happens:s

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I suggest that you refrain from using this Analyzer program.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository.

The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2010 - 10:02 AM.

#7 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Oh Ohhh :flowers: Thanks Louis I've read your post and the 2 articles. I didn't realise it could be so dangerous and damaging:( I won't do that again :thumbsup:

It's still running slow and the windows aren't closing properly but peeling down slowly. No viruses have been detected and malwarbytes tells me it's all clear. How about if I reformat it again? Will this put my registry back to normal? It's just got me really really puzzled as to whats slowing things down:( I dont' know what else to do.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Well...it could be many things, IMO.

Insufficient RAM...depends on what you have installed and running.

Possible malware...always should be considered when there is a change in system function. IMO, too many users get a false sense of security from running routine malware scans, as if any one product catches everything. Just ain't so.

Could be a Windows corruption issue of some kind...running registry cleaners can remove or damage key system files.

Overheating is known to result in perceived system slowdown.

<<It was opening and closing programs very quickly. That was a few weeks ago and yet again the same thing is happening again. Its started running really slow.>>

Well...you need to mentally review what transpired...that could have triggered/coincided with the change.

In short...it could be many things or a combination of things, IMO.

I suggest taking a serious look at the errors reflected in Event Viewer and seeing what messages Windows has been trying to send you...which asked for attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Or...simply delete everything, do a clean install, after running a hard drive diagnostic. No point in installing Windows on a drive that has problems. I can't say that "slowing" merits that type of reaction.

As amazing as it seems to be...I've never had a system slow down noticeably on me, all I can do is go through what seem to be routine causes of such. Of the possible causes that I know of...overheating never produces an obvious symptom, since most users don't think one bit about temperatures that a system may exhibit.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#9 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

No, I'm definately not overheating because I cleaned out my fan and it's not making any noise now at all. Insufficiant Ram? *sigh* Yes, thats definately something I need to think about increasing, but for the moment I'll see what I can sort out.

Ok, so I'll start at the begining again. I've ran malwarebytes and you say one just isn't enough. What else do you suggest, Spybot?

I've taken a long look at the errors in the events viewer and.. Yeah there are quite a few:( But it has jogged my memory and I'm thinking.. wondering.. if it was when I tried to install and older version of MS Office...Hmm... Anyway I think the easiest way for me to sort this out is to do a clean install:) Oh but I have to run a hard drive diagnostics first right? Is this with Dr Watson?

I thought reformatting took the pc back to it's factory settings and put my hard drive back to normal. Is this not the case then?:thumbsup:
Oh I feel as if I've got a thousand and one questions regarding this problem but I feel as if I'm taking up too much of your time now.

Oh, before I go. If I do a clean installation after making sure I dont have any hard drive problems. Do I repartition my drive?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

I must have missed it...have you told us the system manufacturer and model?

That will determine how I answer your question about formatting, which is A...and recovery/restoring a system, which is B.

Louis

#11 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

My System Properties are Windows XP Home Version 2002. I have an IntelŪPentiumŪ4 CPU 3.00GHz and 448MB of RAM.

As for the make and model No Hmmm...Well it has a sticker on the front saying PCW. But I don't think thats of much use is it? Hold on a bit....

...Ok I found a booklet that came with this contrapion. Asus P5VD2-MX/P5V-VM DH Is this it?

Ok in the meantime I'll have another look at the events list to see if I can make some kinda sense of what the windows messages mean :thumbsup:. Arrrhhh!! :flowers: I wish they were in English!! I mean, we don't all fully understand Techolingo :trumpet:

Thank you for taking the time to help though. I really do appreciate it :inlove:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

If this system is not an OEM system (made by HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc.) there is no factory restore option available.

Factory restore/recovery is something OEMs introduced, in lieu of giving purchasers...a MS XP install CD.

If you truly have a MS Genuine XP CD...then it will format the hard drive before installing XP.

Louis

#13 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:21 PM

Yes it is genuine cd. Ok thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users