Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting uneeded files safely

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ajayz2010

ajayz2010

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hey I'm just doing a system cleanup and ran across this file named ie7updates and ie8updates the location of these files are in C:\WINDOWS
I open the folders and see nothing inside but it say's both folders are 100 megabytes a piece. I want to get rid of this so please if you are goo with system cleanup we need to link.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KwikKomputers

KwikKomputers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

These files contain compressed files which are only visible when you enable "Show hidden files or folders". The files inside will appear with blue text. To show these, enter the ie7updates or ie8updates directory and click "Tools" from the Menu Bar. Click "Folder Options" and change to the "View" tab. Find where it says "Hidden files and folders" and switch the radio button to "Show hidden files and folders".

Deleting these files will have no affect on your Internet Explorer browser (either version).

Cheers,

KwikKomputers
Cheers,

KwikKomputers

#3 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks that cleared it up for me but um what about the folders that poped up next to it wen I enabled the hidden files option. Instead of saying updates after the folder name it just say's ie7 and ie8 these are also blue txt inside are these safe to delete as well....
Example: C:\WINDOWS\ie8

Also, can you help me with cleaning the winsxs folder if it is possible.

Edited by ajayz2010, 22 October 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#4 KwikKomputers

KwikKomputers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

Those files are critical to the function of Internet Explorer (i.e. iexplore.exe, jscript.dll) and should not be deleted. The WINSXS directory contains mostly DLL copies for installed programs, framework for those programs, and compatibility settings for those programs. Deleting anything in the directory is unwise, and should not be done. Deleting the entire directory is an even worse idea and is pointless anyway because the operating system will recreate the folder after programs have been re-installed.

Cheers,

KwikKomputers
Cheers,

KwikKomputers

#5 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

Ok thanx very much so do you know of any others I can safely delete of my c drive because i'm just doin a system cleanup and trying to get everything right...

And what about the uninstall files that are in blue are they safe to delete:C:\WINDOWS\$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$

there are at least 5 folders like this

Edited by ajayz2010, 22 October 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#6 KwikKomputers

KwikKomputers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

I swear by CCleaner(click link for download) and Disk Cleanup (built into XP).

Delete any un-needed movie, program, or music files as these hog the most HDD space.

Cheers,

KwikKomputers

Edited by KwikKomputers, 22 October 2010 - 12:57 PM.

Cheers,

KwikKomputers

#7 KwikKomputers

KwikKomputers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

Any folder in the C:\WINDOWS directory that beings with "$NtUninstall"... is an uninstall data file just in case you want to uninstall an Windows Update. If you don't plan on uninstalling previous Windows Updates, go ahead and delete those files.

Cheers,

KwikKomputers
Cheers,

KwikKomputers

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Just a word about CCleaner, since it contains a registry edit function.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

I would try using the following:

Temp File Cleaner.

It is a lot safer then messing with registry cleaners and system optimizers.

Any folder in the C:\WINDOWS directory that beings with "$NtUninstall"... is an uninstall data file just in case you want to uninstall an Windows Update. If you don't plan on uninstalling previous Windows Updates, go ahead and delete those files.

Cheers,

KwikKomputers

Uh that is wrong advice. Those files are needed by Windows Updates to know what needs to be updated, and are backed up copies. I once deleted the folders, and I had to reformat to allow Windows Update to function properly. Those files should remain on the drive at all times.

Edited by cryptodan, 22 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#10 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

[/quote]
Uh that is wrong advice. Those files are needed by Windows Updates to know what needs to be updated, and are backed up copies. I once deleted the folders, and I had to reformat to allow Windows Update to function properly. Those files should remain on the drive at all times.
[/quote]

aw wow I already deleted it so now I have to get it back huh...

Edited by ajayz2010, 22 October 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

An opinion I would rely on, Uninstall Folders Please read it carefully.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#12 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

An opinion I would rely on, http://windowsxp.mvps.org/hotfix_backup.htm. Please read it carefully.

Louis

I tried but page not found with the link...

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Fixed link, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Just a word about CCleaner, since it contains a registry edit function.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Louis

I need to know with the regisry back up called ERUNT how does this work if my registry happen to crash some how. Will I need to alot to get the settings back.. And I already use system restore points will I still need the registry back-up

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Start by deleting old $NtUninstall{xxx}$ files from XP's C:\Windows folder; these files can occupy a shocking amount of space! You need these files only when a Windows Update fails and you (or the OS) have to roll back your system. If your system is working fine, $NtUninstall files serve no purpose.

From my original GURU, Fred Langa

I had a ton of these I deleted with the MS windows remover when I was running sp2 and had updated for a few years and then applied sp3.

Today I used purera to do the task, killing off 200MB, these were the critical updates I had installed since I reloaded with xpsp3 a year ago.

My computer has been working fine.

Windows updates is working fine also
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users