Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infiltration, possible rootkit, need assistance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dh000

Dh000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yesterday, my wife's e-mail account was compromised. We discovered the infiltration rather quickly (~3 minutes after it occurred), contacted the provider, change the password, and within 3 hours, it was compromised again. I suspect a rootkit as I'm not finding anything, with anything. Have tried NOD32, MBAM, Super Antispyware, Sophos Anti-rootkit, Prevx, Dr Web, and Kaspersky online.

To make the situation more difficult, the infiltration could be on one or two computers. I was on one when I changed the password, but then moved to my wife's machine when checking the account. None of the other accounts accessed through this current machine have been compromised (with the exception of the one mentioned previously), and I was using them rather liberally yesterday hoping for some type of hit to help narrow down the point of failure.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I would like to verify both machines are clean. Any suggestions?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 October 2010 - 05:17 PM.
Moved to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users