Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Quick Questions...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phandral

Phandral

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hi all!

My computer just recovered from a serious virus/spyware related issue that occured at a very unfortunate time for me (near the end of semester). I would be very much willing to invest in some preventative measures, however, I'm a bit on the fence about this issue mainly because everytime I use anti-virus software, particularly the Norton Anti-Virus program, it would always inform me of problems and when I opted to have it fix them, it would say that the problem could not be fixed. I was deliberating about this point until my computer came crashing down this past week, and thus, I realize that some sort of protection (even when it doesn't work) is much better than none. That said, for my first question I ask the anti-hijacker community, what are both the best anti-virus and anti-spyware programs you can purchase?

Completely unrelated to the first query, my next is concerning Firefox. While I agree it is leaps and bounds superior to IE, the one thing IE does that I can't seem to emulate with Firefox is IE's functionality that opens a new window with the original page displayed. Firefox, on the other hand, opens a new window with your designated home page. My silly question is simply: how does one open a new window featuring the original page in Firefox (ie: behave like IE)?

Thanks a million in advance!

Edited by Phandral, 20 November 2005 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:34 AM

There is no "best" program...but there are any number which work effectively, if installed and configured properly...and updated by the user/owner.

Some of these are free, requiring no expenditure.

Many persons use AVG Anti Virus AVG Free Edition - http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01.

Online antivirus scans - Google Search - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=online+antivirus+scans

Onlineantivirus.info - Free online antivirus, antispyware, security and privacy tools - http://www.onlineantivirus.info/en/

Louis

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:49 PM

Some on line virus scans have been known to give false positives.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:22 PM

IE's functionality that opens a new window with the original page displayed

I'm so happy firefox doesn't have this 'functionality'! But to address your question - I don't know if there is a setting to allow you to do this - but why do you want to do it? I cannot see a reason to have the exact same page open in two windows. If you want to open the same page so you can use a link on that page to view something else I can understand that - you can do this by right clicking on a link in the original page and chosing 'Open this link in a new window' or 'Open this link in a new tab'. That way you can have your master page in one window and all the links you are interested in open in tabs 'behind' it.

If you really do want the same page open just copy and past the url in the nav bar.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

[quote name='Rimmer' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:22 PM' post='194626']
[quote]but why do you want to do it?[/quote]

Well I miss that functionality as well. Here's an example of why it is quicker and easier:

Lets say you are on a page with some information you need but you see a link you like as well. It is much quicker to have it available, instead of going back, Simply by holding control and hitting n. I think someone would recieve quite a bit of congrats for creating a mod for this.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

I about:config you can change what Firefox shows when you load a new tab, but I can't get it to work. :thumbsup:

Personally, for that and similar browsing tasks, I use All-In-One gestures.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Digidave

Digidave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

[quote name='WlkingMan' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:35 PM' post='194629']
[quote name='Rimmer' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:22 PM' post='194626']
[quote]but why do you want to do it?[/quote]

Well I miss that functionality as well. Here's an example of why it is quicker and easier:

Lets say you are on a page with some information you need but you see a link you like as well. It is much quicker to have it available, instead of going back, Simply by holding control and hitting n. I think someone would recieve quite a bit of congrats for creating a mod for this.
[/quote]

Have you looked into these?

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...numpg=10&id=335

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...numpg=10&id=379

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users