Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refusing proxy connectinos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Oh wow, it has been a while since I have been here. I like the redesigned forum! :flowers:

Anyways, I have been working for a small gaming network and we currently are having a problem with a user that keeps creating new accounts and then going in game and spamming scam mails to members. We have banned this used multiple times and have added an ip ban too him. However, he is still able to get it and create new accounts. We are figuring this is due too website based proxy services that are allowing him too access it from a certain IP address. Is their any notable signature that we can refuse a connection from too start restricting access from proxy websites?

edit: whoops. I mispelled the topic title. :thumbsup:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 22 October 2010 - 09:02 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Nope.

You can try filtering by IP address of known open proxies, but since the address list of available open proxies changes pretty much hourly, it is a waste of time. And as far as 'some sort of signature', the server has no idea what is happening on the other end, so there is no signature to look for. An open proxy is just a computer that is allowing network traffic to flow through it. It isn't anything special at all.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Groovy is, like usual, quite right. I block any IP that appears on StopForumSpam more than 2 times, for example, and yet only some of the web proxies I tested got blocked by my script.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

There are many DNSBL (DNS based ip address block list) available over the internet which list IP addresses used by spammers. You can query them before allowing a person to use your network, site, service etc. I personally like Spamhaus and SORBS. As previously stated, they cannot block 100% of spammers. But (in my opinion) still are very highly effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users