Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new laptop...need firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joetab24

joetab24

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a new dell laptop.

I installed Avast anti-virus, and I attempted to install comodo firewall. I noticed after I installed the firewall I lost the ability to connect to the internet, connected via wireless router. Not sure what happened. Thanks for any help or links to help you can provide :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

If its a new machine you probably have Windows 7 so there is always the option to use Windows built-in Firewall. Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall to address these concerns in both Vista and Windows 7.

Windows 7 Firewall is similar to Vista and also offers two-way filtering for inbound and outbound traffic. However, Windows 7 adds a few new features in the firewall and related network-safety areas such as separate configuration settings for private (Home or Work) and public networks.

The Vista firewall was built on a new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and added the ability to filter outbound traffic via the Advanced Security MMC snap-in. With Windows 7, Microsoft has tweaked the firewall further and made it much more useable, especially on mobile computers, by adding support for multiple active firewall policies.

The Windows 7 Firewall refines the much-improved firewall that was included in Windows Vista, and brings its "hidden" advanced features out into the open. Many users, including some IT professionals, were unaware that you could filter outbound traffic, monitor and otherwise perform advanced configuration tasks for the Vista firewall, because none of that was apparent from the Firewall applet in Control Panel. With Windows 7, Microsoft has created a built-in host firewall that is much more functional than its predecessors and now poses a viable alternative to third party host firewall products.

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?

As with Vista, the basic settings for the Windows 7 firewall are accessed via the Control Panel applet. Unlike Vista, you can also access the advanced settings (including configuration of filtering for outbound connections) through the Control Panel instead of having to create an empty MMC and add a snap-in...

The Vista firewall allows you to choose whether you are on a public or private network. With Windows 7, you have three choices - public network, home network or work network. The two latter options are treated as private networks...With all network types, by default the Windows 7 firewall blocks connections to programs that are not on the list of allowed programs. Windows 7 allows you to configure the settings for each network type separately,...

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?
Understanding Windows Firewall settings
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

I tried some third-party firewalls (Comodo and ZoneAlarm), but since they block EVERYTHING from connecting to the internet without white-listing it, it got too annoying to configure.

Using the built-in Windows Firewall is perfectly fine, in my opinion. Great info from quietman7. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Great job there Quietman7. I'm glad you mentioned that since I was in the same boat not too long ago. I too tried zone alarm, and holy cow, I'd call that piece of crap malware in itself! when I tried it, I soon figured out that it blocks things even as vital as screen readers, leaving blind users like me with no way to use my technology. That's downright cruel, in my opinion. If a firewall wants to be good, then it's programmers should give it some intelligence so that it is aware at least of some kinds of programs. For instance, my secondary screen reader, Called System Access (made by serotek corporation if anyone's interested), has a feature called the home server, which in essence is a remote access feature for one's secondary workstations. With zone alarm on my laptop, I was constantly answering questions about that program. (mind you, this was after I explicitly told it not to block it for about the tenth time). That's no firewall, that's a nuisance!

Sorry for my strong opinions,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users