Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit and Palm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joetab24

joetab24

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Have just learned that my old palm and new laptop can't communicate via usb. I actually upgraded to windows 7 pro from the home edition, thinking I could run in XP mode and my problem would be solved. Paying for impulsive move since the problem is I have a 64 bit machine and 64 bit drivers aren't made for my palm.

Anyway, I found a post mentioning running oracle virtual box and installing xp and syncing my palm that way. I downloaded the oracle program and attempted to install xp (i have a cd from my old computer that i purcahsed in 03, but it didn't work. I couldn't click on the install button on the cd-rom menu. I know I should move into the 20th century and get a smart phone but the handspring visor actually meets my needs well, at least it did. thanks for any help you can provide :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joetab24

joetab24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

can i connect my palm via a usb connection to windows virtual pc? and the resolution when in virtual pc mode is really poor.

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Have just learned that my old palm and new laptop can't communicate via usb. I actually upgraded to windows 7 pro from the home edition, thinking I could run in XP mode and my problem would be solved. Paying for impulsive move since the problem is I have a 64 bit machine and 64 bit drivers aren't made for my palm.

Anyway, I found a post mentioning running oracle virtual box and installing xp and syncing my palm that way. I downloaded the oracle program and attempted to install xp (i have a cd from my old computer that i purcahsed in 03, but it didn't work. I couldn't click on the install button on the cd-rom menu. I know I should move into the 20th century and get a smart phone but the handspring visor actually meets my needs well, at least it did. thanks for any help you can provide :huh:

Hi joetab24,I guess the default question is why didn't you install Windows Virtual PC and the XP/Pro from Microsoft(It's a free download with W7/Pro),you get a legal copy of XP/Pro(32bit)that runs in Windows7/Pro 64bit.Check out this link Windows Virtual PC follow the directions on the web site . When you have it installed and open, plug in your "old palm" and click on the USB tab top left corner of your XP desktop and in the drop down menu you should see your phone(It will show all the USB devices you have connected to your PC)select the one you think is your Palm then click on it and you will get a message telling you that this device will be disconnected from your PC(meaning your host Comp.) click ok and XP will tell you when it's ready to use with a little luck you can link up with your Palm.I not exactly sure what you want to do because Windows7/64bit can run 32bit programs if their compatible if not try XP/Mode, seeing how you already paid for it you should use it,post back if you have any problems or if it solves the problem for you ,Cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 30 October 2010 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users