Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vfloyd

vfloyd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

My CD drive quit working a few months ago. I purchased a CD/DVD drive but don't know how to install it. It didn't have any instructions included.

Is it difficult to install? Can I do it myself, or should I pay someone to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It is not at all hard to install a DVD drive to a computer.

I have to ask you if your computer is a desktop or laptop, because the procedures are different for each type of computer.

Can you please tell us what type of drive this is? It would be either a SATA or a PATA drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

1. Turn your computer off. Wait for a while until all components of the system cool down.
2. Place your computer on a wooden floor or rubber mat. This will ensure safety from power discharge.
3. Disconnect all the cables. Turn off the power/mains attached to your machine.
4. Remove the computer case with a + screw driver. Once the screws are removed, slide the cover to detach it.
5. View the motherboard with a hard drive, processor and the RAM connected to it.
6. Pull out slowly all the cables connected to your old drive.
7. Detach the screws on either side of your old drive. Once this is done, you can slide out the old drive and remove it.
8. Place your new burner in the space where your old drive was kept. Slide the burner gently along the case to place it. Make sure that the placement is done with perfect alignment.
9. Fix the screws that you had removed earlier. Connect the cables in proper sequence.
10. Replace the case into its original position. Do not fix the screws back to the case. Screws can be fixed once you have tested the successful installation of the burner.
11.Turn your computer on and check whether the burner is operating properly.
12. Put back all the screws and refit the computer case.

Read more: How to Install a DVD Burner on a Computer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2020286_install-dvd-burner.html#ixzz133zOu7VK

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 vfloyd

vfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hi Bruce. Thanks for your prompt reply.

It is an HP desktop computer. I'm 99% sure it is SATA, however I am at work right now so I can't check til morning. (I hate night shift.)

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

Hi Bruce. Thanks for your prompt reply.

It is an HP desktop computer. I'm 99% sure it is SATA, however I am at work right now so I can't check til morning. (I hate night shift.)

What model is it? You can usually check the sticker on the drive which tells you if it is a SATA.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 vfloyd

vfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thank You killerx525. I will try this when I get home in the morning and post the results. I have basic knowledge of computers, but just enough to get myself into trouble. LOL

I do appreciate the reply. My computer is about 8 years old, but I've taken good care of it and it still works great. Needs more RAM...maybe I can do that next. I do a lot of photo editing for my family and really need this drive working.

Again...thank you

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

Me and Bruce can help you upgrading your RAM after solving this problem first :thumbsup:

>Michael 

#8 vfloyd

vfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

Bruce...sorry I can't check until I get home. Will post again then. Thanks for answering.

#9 vfloyd

vfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

Me and Bruce can help you upgrading your RAM after solving this problem first :thumbsup:

Cool. I would appreciate any help I can get. Get off work at 7 am and will get back with yall afterwards.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:58 AM

Cool. I would appreciate any help I can get. Get off work at 7 am and will get back with yall afterwards.

Get some sleep when you get home, no rush here :flowers:

>Michael 

#11 vfloyd

vfloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

Yeah these 12 hour shifts are killing me. But I'm happy to have a job, so can't complain.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

Not to get off topic here, but I have to say it.

TEAM WORK! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help and assistance Killer! :flowers:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

Not to get off topic here, but I have to say it.

TEAM WORK! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help and assistance Killer! :trumpet:

Bruce.

No problem, glad to help the community using my knowledge and experience! :flowers:

>Michael 

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

Would you please post the make and model of this Dell?

Most Dells don't use screws to attach the side cover of the case. Once we know what the model is we can tell you exactly how to open the case.

One of the really important pieces of information that wasn't mentioned is the danger of electrostatic discharges (ESDs). An ESD can kill integrated circuits, such as the CPU, or the chips on your RAM modules. The good news is that you can discharge any static electricity in you system by simply touching the metal of the case before handling any of the components inside.

Edited by dc3, 22 October 2010 - 11:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

There were a critical omision besides the sata vs pata problem.

Since the computer is so old I would hope you bought a pata/ide replacement, they have a jumper for master/slave/cable select.

You need to set that jumper to match the old drive before installing into the case.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users