Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$1200 Two Week Build!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JAGX02

JAGX02

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

So I'm looking to build a gaming/multimedia PC to replace my OLD Dell Dimension 4300 from 2001. No SLI or Crossfire or anything like that for me.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

CPU: Intel Core i5-760

Processor: Gigabyte UD3

GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 2GB 256-bit

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Model F3-12800CL7D)

PSU: CORSAIR 850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 80+ Certified

Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa (132 x 100 x 152mm)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Full Tower ([W]240 x [H]560 x [D]560 mm)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Cable: Nippon Labs 39.4" SATA III Flat Cable with Latch Model SATA3-1M

DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe

Just looking for some feedback from some experienced builders as this will be my first DIY. Firstly I just want to make sure everything is compatible and are quality parts. I'm probably going to do some moderate OC to my i5-760 as well.

I'm not sure if I should get 8 gigs or stick with 4? With the combo I got, it basically costs me about ~$60 more for 8.

And I don't know if I should get a regular GTX 460 or the 2GB version? It seems like it can't hurt for an extra ~$20-30?

Also, with the Zalman, I've heard of issues fitting both into the case and into the Mobo. From the dimensions it looks like it will fit in my large case, but will it end up blocking any RAM slots? I'm not even sure how tall this memory is.

I also have no idea whether I need a latch or left/right angle SATA cable?

And finally, I'm not sure if I should get a better (UD3R, UD4, UD4P) Mobo? I won't ever do SLI but I don't know what else I would use those extra slots PCIE slots for? Keep in mind, I will be using SATA III and USB 3.0 which I think will use up something, I couldn't understand it exactly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

Off hand, Id have to say it looks good. Your link goes to an empty shopping cart by the way, but it looks like a decent home build, though I have to ask a question here, all your parts suggest mid range desktop computer for light to mid range gaming or desktop applications, but your PSU is a bit out of proportion-Usually I dont see 850 watt PSUs except in higher end systems, you could probably save yourself some money and go with say a 650-700 watt PSU and still be able to handle all your current hardware, especially if your not planning on doing SLI. Even with SLI you can probably get away with a good corsair or coolermaster 650-750 watt PSU no problem. As far as sata cables, in tight cases, sometimes having the right angle connectors are a nice feature, however in roomier cases it really doesn't matter that much and that case you have is definetly roomy. In fact, you could probably save yourself with the coolermaster 690 instead, it will pretty much do nearly anything the 932 will for less, and its a very solid, roomy, and cool running case. (I speak from personal experience) and its also easy to work with with good cable management. I use this case myself with the optional side window and love it, have also used it with a couple customer systems, it may not look as cool but still a good case. the 932 is a good case as well, and if you don't mind spending the extra on it and like it more, its a good option as well.

Also, I know you dont want to do SLI, but if its not to much more to get a SLI ready board, it won't hurt to have it-after all you may change your mind on SLI in the future, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If its like 20 or more dollars more I wouldnt, but if were talking like a 5-10 dollar difference, I would probably get the extra PCI express slot, just make sure its a SLI board, and not crossfire-typically, if newegg doesnt say its SLI, its crossfire these days, and from what ive seen, most gigabyte boards these days are Crossfire, not SLI, so make sure you double check on that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JAGX02

JAGX02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Yea, I was using an online PSU config to determine what I'd need. It said 750, but I figured since I had a combo w/ this PSU, why not be on the safe side? The same goes for the case, as I got a combo in my cart that saves ~$30. I don't know if the aftermarket cooler would fit into the other one you showed?

But I'm 99% sure I won't be wanting to do SLI in the future. It just seems like I would get a better performance increase just waiting on a new GPU and splurging on that instead, I also wouldn't have to worry about the excess heat and power, and the SLI compatible mobo which might cost a bit more.

I did read a rumor that the GTX 460 and 470 will be getting price drops soon, so maybe if they make them more affordable, I might, but from what I've seen two of these cards doesn't really seem to offer much of a boost to begin with.

One thing I've noticed is that my mobo doesn't have esata, but is that ever going to be popular with USB 3 coming out?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

I have e-sata now, and have never used it. In fact, the only real thing that I know of that uses esata are external hard drives, and most of them these days are USB. Mine is USB and firewire, which I actually prefer, so unless you have a esata external hard drive, or plan on getting one, I don't think thats a big deal. As far as performance, I couldnt tell you you didnt list actual part numbers, but the SLI won't increase the performance-the chipset will. If they are the same chipset, you will have the same performance whether its SLI or not, if the SLI board is a higher chipset then you may see a slightly higher performance, but it will not be a tremendous amount. The cm 690 is only .6 inches narrower then the 932, and should in theory fit it just fine, but like I said if you like the 932 more thats perfectly fine-it is a great case. The CM 690 says its a mid tower-and technically it is, while the 932 is a full tower, however, the 690 is probably the biggest mid tower I have ever seen, and if you look at the dimensions you will see what I mean.

Edited by the_patriot09, 22 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

That looks like a decent build, but keep a few things in mind.

1. An AMD Phenom II X6 1055T costs roughly the same and may offer you better value if you are using applications that are threaded to use more than four cores.

2. Unless you game on a gigantic monitor at a very, very high resolution, the 2GB model will not have a performance increase over the 1GB model. The brand new SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB is about as fast as a singe GTX 460 768MB, the also newly-released HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB is faster than the GTX 460 1GB.

3. You also need to buy an operating system.

Edited by DJBPace07, 22 October 2010 - 10:49 PM.

3939.png

#6 JAGX02

JAGX02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

1. An AMD Phenom II X6 1055T costs roughly the same and may offer you better value if you are using applications that are threaded to use more than four cores.

I was considering AMD, but as far as I can tell, not many apps/games use four cores, let alone six. And the primary game I'll be playing is SC II, which testing indicates benefits from the greater L cache of the I5-760 vs the lower AMD cahces. If I'm not mistaken?

2. Unless you game on a gigantic monitor at a very, very high resolution, the 2GB model will not have a performance increase over the 1GB model. The brand new SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB is about as fast as a singe GTX 460 768MB, the also newly-released HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB is faster than the GTX 460 1GB.

Yea, I saw that the GTX 460 recently got a price drop. I'm def going with the 1 GB. I'll probably bee at 1900 res 23", but I'm still considering uping to the 2560, but I'd probably need a way better gpu...

3. You also need to buy an operating system.

I have a Win XP pro upgrade disk, which I read can be clean installed. So I'm hoping that will work b/c I don't want to have to plunk down hundreds of dollars!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

With SC II you probably wouldn't notice any difference at all between the AMD 6 core, or the i5, and believe it or not, more and more apps are beginning to use quad. I was surprised at the difference in framerates upgrading my old dual core athlon x2 6000+ to a phenom II x4 945, I figured thered be a little but but not much, ya I got twice as good of performance. AMD makes a very solid chip, especially for gamers, and while many bash it, the phenom II line from what Im seeing is at least comparable to a similar i5 CPU. Sure, from what Im seeing the i7 still beats them, at least in high end video and graphics editing, but not by a large enough margin to justify a $1000 price tag. Just my humble opinion of course.

picard5.jpg

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

You have a Windows XP Pro upgrade disc? You will be using XP with a gaming PC? You will not be able to use DirectX 10 or 11 and EyeFinity will also not work. Windows 7 Home Premium, don't bother with Pro except in very specific cases, costs about $100. Given the overall cost of this PC, that isn't much at all. On a 23-inch LCD monitor, your choice of resolutions is fairly limited to the native resolution, but you can try higher resolutions and see what happens.

3939.png

#9 JAGX02

JAGX02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Oops, I meant to say Win 7 Pro upgrade (you can buy them for ~$35). That's what I will be using to install a fresh OS.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

You will need to install XP or Vista to remain within the license if you decide to use an upgrade SKU for a clean install. However, there are ways around that.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users