Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iexplorer And Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CFord

CFord

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:13 AM

Ok, here is the problem in its entirety. My hubby and I both have our own puter. We have the two of them networked together so that we can play games and transfer info. Friday we were finally able to get dsl. They came out and hooked the Speed Stream Ether Net Modem up to our hub so we could both be on at once. That was at 10am. When my hubby got home, he decided to put Zone Alarm on his puter for when he was online. I told him I took it off mine cause I could not download anything or go to any web sites with it on. He went online and found that he too was having the same problems, so he un installed it and went on to play games online till 9pm. After he got offline, he decided to run a scan disk and a defrag. His puter has alot on it so it had to stay on all night. Saturday morning when I got up I went to get on his puter to get the windows updates online and found that I could not. I called my ISP thinking it was something to do with their stuff, but my puter was still online and his puter still had the right info on it. We tried a system restore, that was no help and I set it back as it was. I tried hooking his puter up directly to the modem and it would not go online. When he got home this evening he tried to reinstall Windows ME, and it did not fix explorer. I got a friend of mine to burn me a copy of the latest update of Internet explorer (my puter doesn't have a burner) and when I go to install the up dates, it freezes up. I press ctrl alt delete and it says that it is not responding. I tried installing FireFox, to bypass explorer, and I still couldn't get online. I called and spoke to someone at "The Tech Guy" and he said that he thought that the Network Card might have been lose or gone bad. I have checked the tightness of the card and it is not lose at all and when I check the card through Device Manager it says that it working properly. There are no red x's nor are there any yellow !'s showing in Device Manager.
So there it all is. If you think that you might know what the problem is or how to fix it please feel free to respond. If you need any other information that I might have forgot feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CFord

CFord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

Ok, i think I might be able to help with narrowing down a solution. I just put Fire Fox on the computer and then ran the modem straight to the puter, hoping to bypass IExplorer all together, and I got nothing. Could not get on to any website. So does this mean it might be a hard wear problem after all??????

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup: to BC CFord,

That's a real can of worms you have there. Can your own PC still connect to the internet through the hub?
Can you still network to your husbands PC?

You should run 'personal firewalls' on your PCs for your security, especially with DSL which is an 'always on' service. Zone Alarm sometimes does not work well with some configurations, you can try another free firewall from the the BC compendium of recommended Freeware:
Recommended Freeware
What anti-virus and Anti-spyware programs are you running?

Please describe in what way you reinstalled Windows ME. What version of IE did you try to install?

I doubt whether you are looking at a hardware problem.
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:37 PM

You stated at one point you connected straight to the modem. Does this mean you are using a router? If so, does it show the LAN as being online? The icon in the lower right tray next to the clock will show your status. If it is not there you can go into your NIC properties and tick the box to show it in the task bar. If it shows the LAN is online your NIC is good. That is the simple way to check your NIC.
Can each computer see each other in the "My Network" window?
You may want to review IE's setting to see if your security setting are set too high. Also check to see if your Privacy setting are blocking web sites.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users