Absolutely back up your files to be safe. Not sure what went wrong during the fix, but there have been a few reported cases of people with smitfraud no longer being able to boot up.
Do you have a file called wininet.dll in your c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder? Also are you booted into safe mode with networking support? if so, and you can reach the internet, I want you to do the following:
Please follow the instructions provided, you may want to print out these instructions and use them as a reference. Because you are in safe mode, you may not be able to update the definitions. Continue anyway
Please download ewido security suite
it is a trial version of the program.
- Install ewido security suite
- When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
- Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
- The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
- On the left hand side of the main screen click update
- Then click on Start Update
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/
Once the updates are installed close the Ewido program.
Once in safe mode, start Ewido and do the following:
- Click on scanner
- Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
- While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
- When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.
- Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
- Click Save report.
- Save the report.txt file to your desktop.
Now close ewido security suite.
Reboot back to normal mode, open report.txt and post it as a reply to this post along with a new hijackthis log.