Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp : Logging On Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Schmit

Schmit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:51 AM

Recently my computer was infected by the 'Spy Sheriff' hack/virus etc..I followed this guide at this website: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry130094

Now - I was told to complete Point 15 and onwards, to which I did and rebooted the computer.

But now, when the logging screen comes on (When you chose a user to log on as) - it doesn't even come up, it stays on the Blue/Dark Blue screen with the Windows logo and the writing 'Windows is starting up..' - it freezes at that and nothing else happens.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:02 PM

You get to a blue screen with nothing on it? If you hit control-alt-delete does the task manager come up?

#3 Schmit

Schmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

No - sorry I didn't explain very well. The screen freezes just before you get onto the logging in part with all the usernames.

You see the Windows Logo, and then the writing 'Windows is starting up' - but then it freezes from there. It should load up all the usernames that are on my computer but it doesn't.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:05 PM

Can you reboot into safe mode?

#5 Schmit

Schmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

The F8 Key doesn't come up with the options of safe mode/last good config etc - it comes up with a blue box and a list of devices such as the Floppy Drive and CD/DVD Drive.

#6 Schmit

Schmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Right - eventually got onto the menu.

Tried Last Good Configuration - nothing changed.

Trying Safe Mode right now..

#7 Schmit

Schmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

Aha!

I'm in..only in the safe mode though - what can I do next? I the first thing to do is back up all my files..!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

Absolutely back up your files to be safe. Not sure what went wrong during the fix, but there have been a few reported cases of people with smitfraud no longer being able to boot up.

Do you have a file called wininet.dll in your c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder? Also are you booted into safe mode with networking support? if so, and you can reach the internet, I want you to do the following:

Please follow the instructions provided, you may want to print out these instructions and use them as a reference. Because you are in safe mode, you may not be able to update the definitions. Continue anyway

First:
Please download ewido security suite it is a trial version of the program.
  • Install ewido security suite
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Then click on Start Update
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Once the updates are installed close the Ewido program.

Once in safe mode, start Ewido and do the following:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
  • When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report.txt file to your desktop.
Now close ewido security suite.

Reboot back to normal mode, open report.txt and post it as a reply to this post along with a new hijackthis log.

#9 Schmit

Schmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:01 PM

There is no wininet.dll in the dllcache folder that you referred to. Is that a major problem regarding the boot up problems I'm having?

I didn't choose the networking support option, I am currently just backing up a few files to a dvd disc, and afterwards I will try and go into Safe Mode with Networking Support.

Do you think System Restore might be a good option at all too?

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

Yes ..we may have to go the route of system restore. I dont have a wininet.dll in the dllcache either, so thats ok. Dont worry about that for now..let me know about the ewido after you finish backing up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users