Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kiwichick5454

kiwichick5454

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:40 AM

:thumbsup: I have been told that the computer is shuting itself off to protect it from overheating. i have to turn off the power at the wall before i can restart the PC. so my question is how do i stop it from over heating if this is why it is turning off?
If i need to buy something for it could you please tell me what im getting annoyed the PC is for work as well as leisure....someone please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:33 AM

Have you opened up your system to make sure that all of your fans are operating? Are they full of dust? If so, cleaning out the dust can significantly help and will create more air flow inside your system.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 kiwichick5454

kiwichick5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:46 AM

Have you opened up your system to make sure that all of your fans are operating? Are they full of dust? If so, cleaning out the dust can significantly help and will create more air flow inside your system.

OK should of also stated that the cover on the tower is off so we can see everything that is going on...fans?? ok now im lost there is this little one on a box (yes im no computer expert or know any names or lingo :thumbsup: )and then the one at the back .. and yes they are free of dust!!

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Are they operating?

Also probably the most important fan, is the heatsink Fan, which is located on top of the Processor. Here is a picture of what the heatsink looks like (of course yours may look slightly different: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/th...akevolcano7.php

Also, what type of computer do you have (Dell, Asus, IBM, etc...) Do you have any heat-related programs that monitor your temp?

A good program that monitors your fan speeds and temps, try SpeedFan, it's a free program. You can get it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

Let's start at the beginning, please.

Are you running Windows XP?

If so, have you checked Event Viewer for errors? Event Viewer is designed to inform you when there is a system problem. Errors are items that require immediate attention. That's what you should look for.

Using Event Viewer - http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41669/41669.html

It also helps if you post the exact error messages that you receive...and when (what are you doing?) you receive them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users