Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will mac only install OK programs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I have some programs and hardware install cds that just say "mac" on them. I read mac is not as backward compatible as windows tries to be so I don't know if my canon A60 drivers, etc will work on mac osx. From the few installs I've done it seems like there's a check first that the program is compatible. Is it safe to install any programs or drivers that will install?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lastx

lastx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

If you're skeptical go ahead and pull the drivers off the manufactures website.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yes it is completely safe to do it, os 10 AKA Mac os x will decide whether it is a good driver or not and yes actually i have had a camera driver almost as close as yours work just fine on leopard and tiger, snow leopard is no different from leopard. :blink: But CHECK the manufacturers site to see if there is a an updated driver, also see if they list the compatibility. And also I really don't think you need drivers for a camera, the just work as a mass storage drive, so if you plug it in the drive will mount as a mass storage drive and you will then be able to access all of your pictures. :wacko:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

Canon PowerShot A60 and A70
The software included is Canon's ZoomBrowser EX (Windows), Image Browser (Mac), PhotoRecord, PhotoStitch and RemoteCapture software. As the camera is PTP compatible no additional drivers are needed in Windows XP or MAC OS X environments.

If a driver is not Mac compatible, it won't install on a Mac.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks

I'll try just connecting my camera and see how that works before I install the zoombrowser software. I do check for current drivers, but if I didn't find any or any that said "for mac os x" I wanted to know if it was safe to try installing from the cd. Also, I have a few programs - like a Russian language course for win95 and mac - that I'd like to try and see if they'll work.

Edit: I connected my camera via its USB cable, but nothing happened. If it acted as a mass storage drive, it would show up on the desktop as a drive, right? The canon download site did say that no drivers were needed. I used the Image Browser [zoombrowser on the pc] to download pics on the pcs.

There's a firmware update available, but that's to use pictbridge, which I don't so I wasn't going to do that update. I looked up PTP in wikepedia. It didn't say when it was implemented. I bought the camera in 2004. Any chance I do need that firmware update?

Edited by MaryBet82, 23 October 2010 - 01:46 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

IDK about updating the firmware but you could launch iPhoto and under Preferences > General > choose iPhoto or Image Capture (if it's listed) in Connecting camera opens option. Another option is to buy a cf card reader and use that instead of connecting the camera each time you need to transfer photos over to the Mac.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Buddyme2. I set iPhoto preferences to open when the camera attached and that worked. When I plugged in the camera iPhoto opened and after awhile the device showed up and the pictures on the SD card were browsable and importable.

The Canon UK site stated that the camera supported PTP. There appear to only be 2 versions of PTP [wikipedia] 1.1 was released in 2008. None of the changes listed seem to relate to being IDed as a mass storage device automatically when attached thru USB, but maybe that's the difference. The original PTP version on my camera may require some software on the computer such as iPhoto or Canon's ImageBrowser to ID the camera and v1.1 may not. Just a guess. I'm always guessing trying to figure out what's going on w/ my computers.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Ahh, I had this issue with my sony DSLR A-330 I had to set the camera to display as a mass storage device to make it show up as a mass storage device.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

When you say set the camera to display as a mass storage device do you mean via the camera's menu - not via some mac setting?

Per my camera's user's manual mac os x has the drivers for the camera and I had it set in the right mode. There's some sort of "limitations" that are in a brochure [probably in a file folder buried in my office] and not in the manual. Maybe using iPhoto to download the pics addresses those limitations.

I tried installing my Russian language CD and I did get the message that it couldn't be installed since I didn't have the "classic environment".
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users