Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/Malware issues and other problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 imthemorgue

imthemorgue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

I am running Windows XP Professional, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Lasat night I bootd my PC up and "Think Point" greated me by trying to sell me its antivirus as it blocked out windows task bar. I managed to use task manaer to shut it down by ending the hotfix.exe process. Then I scanned my PC and removed alot of harmful cookies, trojans, and malware. I used Malwarebytes Anti-malware program in this process as well as my original programs. However the following problems persist:

Google chrome doesn't load web pages but stays with a white screen and then it asks me if I want to kill the page.
My Microsoft Security Essentials fails to update because its "connection failed"
Ad-Aware updates freeze and never finish
When Using IE, Aw-Aware tells me that it blocked IE from going to a malicious website
IE will randomly open strange search engines when I search something in my google searchbar
I run virus/malware scans and they seem to always find new malware/trojens
The computer is generally slower
Also, since posting this I have been getting an error sayng "Generic Host process for Win32 services" so it stops that process for security reasons and sometimes after this the task bar goes from being smooth to the old box grey winows look...

I have tried system restore as well, but it always says that the restore points are invalid because the system has not chacnged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Edited by imthemorgue, 22 October 2010 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imthemorgue

imthemorgue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

Are you guys busy with other people and I should continue waiting or did I ask a question that is similar to someone elses that has been alreaady answered? If my question is repetative please provide an active link to the answer and directions. THANKS!

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hello,

Neither, we've simply got a zillion topics.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users