Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware.hotbar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi guys, i've just done a complete format of my PC due to unwanted bugs.

So after doing my weekly scan with Malwarebytes it found this Adware.hotbar!
It cleaned it away, but i'm miffed to how it got on to my PC as i'm trying my very best to keep away from anything that could infect me.
I've done a bit of internet research, and it seems it may have got there through installing Windows live essentials.
Could this be true?
I thought in my little mind anything microsoft was safe to deal with!

Trevor.

Edited by Trevrev, 21 October 2010 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hotbar is a toolbar that offers a collection of browser and system enhancements. It adds graphical skins to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook, and Outlook Express toolbars as well as its own toolbar and search button. Hotbar is considered Adware because it is advertising-supported software with targeted ads built into its toolbar that is intended to generate revenue.

Sophos also classifies Hotbar as a "Potentially Unwanted Program".

Hotbar is distributed primarily from Hotbar.com, Wowpapers.com and ShopperReports.com although some researchers claim it can be bundled with free software and promoted through misleading junk email. Hotbar and other Adware have been reported distributed via Bing Sponsored Search Result for Firefox using trickery. Installation of Hotbar can also occur without your knowledge via innocuous-looking banner ads and pop-ups at third-party web sites so if you did not intentionally install it, then that is probably how it was delivered to your computer. For a more detailed overview, refer to this Hotbar Software Review conducted by Sunbelt Software Research Center.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the info quietman7,
I certainly didn't install it intentionally thats for sure! LOL.
So this isn't a malicious thing, just a pain in the backside as such? Is windows live messenger a safe thing to install?
As i said in my opening thread, thats where i thought the Hotbar had come from.

Trevor.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Windows Messenger is a proprietary instant messaging client included in Windows. Windows Live Messenger (formerly MSN Messenger)) is part of the package offered with Windows Live Essentials. It should not be confused with Windows Messenger Service which is a network-based system notification service and a component of Windows itself.

Both Windows Messenger and the Messenger Service can be a security risk.
If you wanted to install Windows Live Messenger and conducted a search to download it, that search could lead to a third-party site which also offers Hotbar.

#5 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Would Malwarebytes have got rid of Hotbar completely?
Or will there still be traces of it left untouched?
I did install firefox after i formatted. I've been reading that there has been a fake page used for downloading Firefox which infects you with Hotbar.
All good stuff this computing!

Trevor.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Would Malwarebytes have got rid of Hotbar completely? Or will there still be traces of it left untouched?

The folks who make this crapware constantly update and add components to their software which install in various areas of your system and registry. This makes removing it completely more difficult. While MBAM should take care of removing most of it, subsequent scans may find remnants that previously were not detected. This is not uncommon when dealing with adware programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users