Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenova T60 Fan Error message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

I am trying to fix a Lenova T60 Laptop that will not start due to a fan error message. The Laptop starts for 2-3 sec while the fan is making a really loud noise, then it says fan error and turns itself off. Could this be due to dust in and around the fan. I was told that it was running very warm the last few days prior to this happening. To clean the fan effectively, how do I get to the fan. Take the Keyboard off or unscrew all the screws underneath the laptop. Is there a chance that the fan will be no longer working correctly? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

giving that you say you don't know how to get at the fan, i will suggest a can of compressed air [Dust Off ]to blow the fan and heatsinc clean

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

This download is for the manual for that computer, and has instructions for replacing the fan. This will get you to the fan to clean or replace the fan.

What kind of noise is it making?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

I went ahead and found the fan in the laptop and gave it a good clean. This did not help and the same thing is happening. Very loud noise when laptops starts and then the error message. can anyone help me locate the exact type of FAN I need. Is there a specific model. I was going to order it on ebay. Thanks

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

I went ahead and bought a Fan on ebay. I installed it, but am still getting the fan error. I don;t hear any loud noise coming from the fan. Why would I be getting the error with another working fan installed? Thanks

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

The error code has finally stopped. I do have this humming noise coming from the fan every few minutes. What would be causing that and how do I fix this problem. Appreciate the help.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

There are only two things that can make noise in a laptop, the hdd or a fan. If the fan is making more noise than usual it is a sign of overheating. Have you checked to see what the temperature is of your CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

I have a attached the results using speed fan. Temps seem fine and there is no noise coming from the fan. A couple things seem weird right now. I opened the case and spun the fan lightly with my finger and it does make a strange spinning noise very similar ti what it does when the system runs. I also started the laptop with the keyboard lifted up and noticed the fan was not running. is the fan suppose to work the entire time the laptop is on or only when it gets hotter. Thanks for your help.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

The fan speed is dependent on the temperature inside the case. As it heats up the fan speed increases. If there is only one fan it is to cool the CPU and should run while the computer is on.

From what you described of the fan noise when you spun it by hand I suspect that the bearing may be going out in the fan.

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

I started doing a virus scan as I thought that would get the fan working overtime. There was a little extra noise during this scan, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have attached the results after the scan finished and there is an increase in temps. The fan must be working as the laptop would give a fan error or shutdown. I just don't know if it is quite working 100%. What do you think?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

What is the temperature of the CPU when running?

The only sound a fan should make is the noise of the air flow.

#12 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

HDO 34C

Temp 1 34C

Temp 2 30C

Core 42C

Core1 47C

Maybe I am being to optimistic, but I have run the laptop for a few hrs and no weird noises. Fan does work harder during a virus scan, but doesn't make strange noises like it was before. What do you think?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:56 AM

All you can do is wait and see. No error messages and no noise are good indications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users