Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Extract Files From Sip Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 com_mom

com_mom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

:thumbsup: This is what happened.I dwnloaded spy_bot s&d ran the program..it found several entries so I let it delete the items... I found that the program tangent game channel would no longer let me play games.due to these files were consider to be mal ware or spy files...I went ahead for the first time and used file restore
so when I did this..It send the spy_bot to a zip file..now I can no longer access spy_bot to undo the damage
my xp will no longer let me restore to an earlier time..what if anything can I do now...

The zip file is password protected..I have never put a password on my comp so I am not sure what happened I am the only user on my comp..

does anyone have any suggestions.
just to let you know I have a firewall and virus protection
I used to have norton it expired and somone told me panda was so much better so I bought it.
thanks for your time..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:43 AM

I went ahead for the first time and used file restore....It send the spy_bot to a zip file.

I don't understand. you had Spybot S&D installed on your system. Used it to delete some nasties including tangent game channel (I'm worried already) so you used file restore? Do you mean the Windows System Restore utility? This would have uninstalled Spybot.

Download Spybot S&D and install it again. Update it.
There is a tutorial here on how best to use it - SpyBot S&D Tutorial

There may be a backup which you can access to restore your missing files. You will have to read throught he Spybot help.
I think you should double check to see if tangent is spyware free. They may give you fun games but they might be giving you more than that.

Follow these basic security procedures:
(some you already have)

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

If you are saying...that you want to restore files which you know are malware...I would say that is not a wise decision on your part, but it's your system.

In any case, any installed program (which does not require a CD) is available for re-download from the website you originally got it from.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users