Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to buy a custom build?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bmwguy

bmwguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have been researching for weeks and every company such as Dell, ibuypower cyberpower and digital storm have left me with a less than warm fuzzy feeling or confidence. I have read so many poor reviews about Alienware, ibuypower, and cyberpower product quality and support that I have no clue what to do now. Dell will not tell you what brands of RAM, GPU's or HDD will be in the machine that you are paying a premium for which is total BS. I do not want to buy off the shelf packages since all of them come with things I don't want or need. Is there a good company to buy from online that builds quality PC's that are not over charging? I spoke to people at both Cyberpower and Ibuypower and both were people that sounded shady and had the same thick Asian accent and both bashed the other companies reputation and products a lot. I then called digital storm and apparently they only have one person that can handle product questions and she was not in, so that was an immediate no to them getting my money. This tells me that none of the companies are professional at all. I am sorry but you cannot have just one person working their that can field product questions. Also the other two companies both sound like the same guy answering the phone. I asked the Ibuypower guy if Cyber/Ibuy where the same company, and he said hell no we hate them. Most of the time I couldn't understand what he was saying with his accent, and he was just pressuring me to buy the entire time.

I am looking to build a good gamin PC that will support crossfire cards, and i7 processor.

Any suggestions of a company to go with? I thought about going to FRY's but they are way more expensive than just buying an Alienware with equal specs.

Edited by bmwguy, 21 October 2010 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Why not buy all the parts yourself and build it yourself? Its really not that difficult, and will save you some money.
A good site would be http://www.newegg.com to buy individual parts, and even barebones kits to get you started.

Edited by Sightless, 21 October 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#3 bmwguy

bmwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

I want to buy it assembled by a professional. I really do not have the time to build it myself. Also i know I will screw somthing up.

Why not buy all the parts yourself and build it yourself? Its really not that difficult, and will save you some money.
A good site would be http://www.newegg.com to buy individual parts, and even barebones kits to get you started.

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

If you have a friend capable of doing it, you could try asking them to assemble it after you buy the parts.

A quick google search revealed http://www.pugetsystems.com/ if you haven't already tried them.

#5 bmwguy

bmwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

they look like a good company but a little too expensive. I can get an Alienware Aurora with the same specs for around 1500 where they are charging over 2100 and you dont even get a mouse keyboard or enough of a power supply. If money was no object I guess i would go with Puget. Not sure what else they are giving to justify the higher prices on everything. I may go with them, but it seems a little on the high side right now. For 2100 I would expect Corsair Dominator RAM a 1000W plus power supply and crossfire 5870's but that is not even close to what I would get for that money.

If you have a friend capable of doing it, you could try asking them to assemble it after you buy the parts.

A quick google search revealed http://www.pugetsystems.com/ if you haven't already tried them.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

If you are going to farm this out to someone else I would stay local. Brick and Mortar businesses deal mostly face to face and it is harder to rip someone off when they live close by. My dad had his whole office systems with servers and all built locally. Whenever there is a problem the same guys who built it are very helpful with technical advice and are quite knowledgeable. Just go to google maps and put in computer and your zip code (if you are in America) and it will give you a list, sometimes with reviews. Good luck.

#7 bmwguy

bmwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Ya I may try that. I just figured they would charge a premium for labor and make the PC way too expensive to build locally. Both Cyber/Ibuy and Newegg are local to me but I am still not sure about them. I know Newegg is good, but they sell the ibuy/cyber machines and all of them are not configured the way I want them. I may wait until black friday nears to see what each company does in terms of deals. Dell may offer a special on the Alienware I was told. I can already get 10% of with employee purchase progam deals.

If you are going to farm this out to someone else I would stay local. Brick and Mortar businesses deal mostly face to face and it is harder to rip someone off when they live close by. My dad had his whole office systems with servers and all built locally. Whenever there is a problem the same guys who built it are very helpful with technical advice and are quite knowledgeable. Just go to google maps and put in computer and your zip code (if you are in America) and it will give you a list, sometimes with reviews. Good luck.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I also believe in a local computer store. I don't know about where you live but I have a Intel dealer that I use. Privately owned that works with governments, businesses and people like me. It all depends on how they do business. I can buy anything from my Intel Dealer and they will match the price of any website. If I need help there very close and helpful. If you have such a place in your town you will be able to discuss things and pick and choose what you want. At this point you can decide weather they put it together or you do. If like me I was surprised how close the price is and I got to choose. It cost nothing to look and ask.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

It may not be as expensive as you think. 2 of my 3 custom builds cost about the same as a mid-price off-the-shelf system. The first one was more expensive because I went from a laptop to a desktop and needed speakers, keyboard, monitor and mouse. I also requested sound and graphic cards.

If you already have speakers, keyboard, monitor, and mouse you'll save money because you don't need those things.

Questions to ask when consulting about your custom build:

Do you have a basic custom build?

Most of them do. Find out what the basic build consists of-OS, hard drive size, how much memory, processor type.

You won't get a sound or graphics card. If you don't want to use on board sound and graphics, you'll pay extra for the cards.

What is your warranty? How long is it for, what does it cover?

(mine is 3 years, which covers motherboard, hard drive, fans, and maybe a few other things but I have to take it to the tech every 6 months so they can open the case and clean out the innards)

Will the warranty be voided if you open up the case for anything? They may put a sticker over it and if you open the case, the sticker will break.

Will you get the disk for the motherboard, and an OS disk?

Once you find out what the basic build is, you can talk about extras and how much they will cost.

If you have a computer tech shop you've dealt with and like, that's the place to start. If not, ask people you know who they use.

Call a few of them or stop by the shop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2010 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users