Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking a Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gusgus910

gusgus910

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have a Dell A940 Printer with a USB connection to a Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop computer with XP. I also have a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop with Vista on a wireless connection to my desktop. I also have a D-Link WBR 1310 Router. I can transfer files back and forth on the Network with no problem, but I cannot print directly from my Laptop to the printer! I downloaded the A940 printer driver to Vista, but setting up the system the rest of the way has me baffled! Believe it or not, my laptop is three years old and Iíve been trying to do this since I bought it to no avail!! If you think you can help me with this, I will need a step by step procedure on how to tackle this problem. Thank you.

Gusgus910

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

Will ask one quick question and then we will go from there. Did you set the printer to be shared?

On the XP machine go to the Printers and faxes folder. Right click on the Printer icon. Select sharing. In the window that opens up make sure you are on the Sharing tab. Then make sure that Share this printer has a check mark\dot in it. Make a note of the name shown in the Share name: box.

Once you have done this much let me know.

#3 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi ThunderZ
The answer to your question is I have shared it in XP and the name of the printer is DellAIOP. Waiting for further instructions.
gusgus910

#4 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi ThunderZ
I hope this helps a little bit. On my Laptop when I click Network-"My Desktop computer name",a window opens up with icons. There are two icons that pertain to the Desktop printer. One icon is called "Printer" Clicking on it brings up another window with an icon which says
Dell AIO Priner A940
Ready (This is highlighted)

The other icon is called "DellAIOP" Clicking on this icon brings up a small window with a name Dell AIO Priner A940 on "Name of my desktop"

Printer Document View
Document Name Status Owner Pages Size

0 document(s) in queue

I hope this isn't too confusing for you.

gusgus910

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Good evening gusgus910

Since you have been playing with this for a while I do`t know what you have or have`t tried. So I`ll apologize in advance if I cover something you have already done\tried.

The first two things I will ask are; 1)Do both PCs share the same network\workgroup name? 2)Are you running a firewall? If yes and they are the built-in XP and Vista FW`s, are file and printer sharing enabled?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users