Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows SBS Server 2008 & Space

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sunflower1

Sunflower1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

The problem is that the "shared" folder on the server is almost full. The server isn't full, it's just a folder that we all map network drive to. In order to get more space, do we have to map network drive to more shared folders on the server or is there another way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

create a folder for each user in a new location, copy the files over to the new folder, place a short cut to the new folder in the shared folders location.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

The problem is that the "shared" folder on the server is almost full. The server isn't full, it's just a folder that we all map network drive to. In order to get more space, do we have to map network drive to more shared folders on the server or is there another way?

Is this shared folder on a separate partition as the operating system? If not, and if your server is not full, sounds like maybe disk quota was enabled. If you right-click on the drive where the shared folder resides you'll find "Properties". Select that and then the "Quota" tab. There you'll be able to adjust how much each user is allowed to store on the server. Hope that helps.

#4 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I will try both of these.

The correct wording of my problem is that the Network Drive is full while there is plenty of space on the server itself. I will try to correct this issue by adjusting the quota tab.

#5 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

I found out that my actual hard drive is full.
Now, I'm trying to figure out why my receipt says that my hard drive is for a much bigger size but disk management says that my hard drive is for a smaller size. hmmm

#6 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Your local hard drive on your desktop computer or the one on the server?

How much bigger is the drive compared to what's shown on the receipt? It could be partitioned or with larger drives, the usable amount is never the advertised amount--you end up losing a few gigs.

If you take a screen capture of disk management that would give me a good indication of what's going on.

If the drive is full on the server, I would immediately copy some items from the shared folder to your desktop and delete them from the server or you could end up crashing it. Also, if there are other users, have them do the same or clean up old files that aren't necessary any more.

#7 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

The Server's HDD. It is supposed to be 160HDD. Here's the disk management screen capture

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#8 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Well as I said the usable amount will never equal the advertised amount, it will always be less. You are in luck as you have 87GBs of free space. Did you check disk quota to make sure that is disabled? If so it would probably be a wise idea to activate that partition for use and either move the shared folder to that directory or create a symbolic link.

How much disk is being used in the shared folder? Personally I like to keep my shared files on a separate partition to keep down on disk fragmentation but that all depends on how much space is available and how much you're already using... If you right click on the shared folder and select properties, it should display that information.

BTW, are you still receiving the disk full message?

#9 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Disk Quota is not activated.

The shared folder/network drive is using 57GB

#10 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

Disk Quota is not activated.

The shared folder/network drive is using 57GB. Shouldn't I be able to right click in order to activate a partition? The only thing that shows up is "New Simple Volume"

#11 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

What ended up happening is that I received a new hard drive altogether. So, I will be adding the new one and returning that old one to the company that I purchased it from. I hope this solves the issue. what are your thoughts?

#12 Haider

Haider

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

Hello Lena B:

According to your screenshot in Post #7 (please look at the bottom part) you still have 87.55 GB unallocated space, you'd have to create partition (as per requirement), decide whether it would be primary or logical, then format it, since its a server recommended would be NTFS. I am pretty sure you've 160 GB drive

#13 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Can I create a partition for the unallocated space without it affecting the space that I'm using?

#14 Haider

Haider

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:28 AM

Lena B:

May I please ask two quick question if you don't mind:
  • Are you administering this server?
  • Is it in work environment or home?

#15 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

It is a home setting. If I don't have time to do it, it would be a friend of mine that does

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users