Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can not remove read only attribute

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

I just upgraded to windows 7 64 bit from windows xp pro about 10 days ago and noticed that all of my folders are read only and i can not remove the attribute. i had this problem on xp as well but seems to be worse on windows 7. i did not reuse my old hard drive i installed a new WD caviar green 2 TB and installed windows 7 on it. I need to be able to transfer files and folders to a FTP server but it keeps on failing and retuning the message that i do not have permission to create the directory.

I have done the following to correct this problem:

1. Made sure I was the owner
2. made sure i have full permissions
3. created a new admin account to rule out a corrupt user account
4. used cmd prompt attrib commands
5. used check disk to rule out corrupt hard drive as well as used WD's hard drive check app

I read that this may have been caused by a update from Microsoft. what update caused the problem and can it be removed safely? I also have seen some people have used a script to over ride this problem but i can not find it. lastly i have seen that it could be a bios problem and that i need to update my bios, what is your opinion on this?

Edited by vanlierdechad, 21 October 2010 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hotfire2104

Hotfire2104

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe this is a server side issue. It sounds like the FTP server has not stored permissions for your log on credentials to allow you to edit files.
If my pc was working properly I would try to replicate your problem, and see what I can find out.

#3 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

I may be wrong, but I believe this is a server side issue. It sounds like the FTP server has not stored permissions for your log on credentials to allow you to edit files.
If my pc was working properly I would try to replicate your problem, and see what I can find out.

i can edit files on the server I just can not upload any folders and some files fail as well.
I belive this is because of the read only problem on my local PC not the server side malfunctioning

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Have you taken 'ownership' of the files? These files were on a different machine, and it sounds like they are being protected.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

Edited by Jacee, 21 October 2010 - 04:08 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

Have you taken 'ownership' of the files? These files were on a different machine, and it sounds like they are being protected.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

i have the shortcut installed already and have been using it

that seemed to be part of the problem c: was owned by trusted installer and the external drive was owned by S-5-1- .... i forget the rest of the name of it but i think it was left over from xp because i have seen that name befor but digitalhell/chad now owns it. owever i still can not remove the read only attribute yet. i will try a reboot and see if that makes a diffrence since i took ownership of the drives them self and not the indevidual folders inside of them

UPDATE a system reboot did nothing :huh:

Edited by vanlierdechad, 21 October 2010 - 07:08 PM.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Try Lock Hunter http://lockhunter.com/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

thank you for the link jacee but it seems that nothing is being blocked

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

In your first post - if you get error from FTP server, then it seems like an FTP server issue. When you upload files to FTP server, it does not create directory on your local drive but on the remote server. The create directory command (mkdir) is issued again and again on remote server to match the directory hierarchy on the local hard disk.

For a local file which you say is permanently read only, can you give a command icacls [filename] in a command prompt window and post the snapshot here ?

#9 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

Posted Image

Edited by vanlierdechad, 22 October 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:48 AM

That looks like a folder not a file. What error does it show when you type attrib -s -h -r [filename] ?
Can you post the snapshot of original error message to make things clearer for everyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users