Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a strange problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I was sent here by Elise to post this problem. She helped me get my computer back up and running however I am still getting this error when I restarted this computer after I took the xp disc out and now it wont boot without it. It says strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. When I have the xp disc in it starts fine. I am also getting the 0 seek failure as well. How can I resolve this problem? The link to the thread where we fixed most of my computer is located below. Thank you in advance for your help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic347075.html/page__st__105

Edited by chugg, 21 October 2010 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

OK...please go into the BIOS...tell me what your boot options (first, second, third) are as currently listed.

I see where you changed the CMOS battery...did you reset the date/time and save the changes...after replacing it?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 October 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Ok the boot sequence I have is
1- IDE cd rom device (which I thought myself and Elise changed but it changed itself back)
2- hard disk drive C

I do not have a 3rd and I also get a 0 diskette seek error.

when I changed the battery I did not reset the date and time although it is correct on my computer.

Thank you for your help....

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

Hello I want to hop in here and ask a few questions that may help resolve this problem.

When you changed your CMOS battery, did you enter your BIOS and go to the MAIN page and re-detect your hard drive?

There is two ways to do this based on how your BIOS menu is set up.

Some BIOSes have an option on the MAIN page where it is worded similar to this. AUTO-DETECT HARD DRIVES. If your BIOS has this option, click this and it should check all channels for any hard drives.

If your BIOS does not have this option, you have to go to the main setup page where the date and time are, below there should be options which are worded like this. PRIMARY MASTER, PRIMARY SLAVE, etc.

You have to make sure these are set to AUTO, but you may also check the status of each by hi-lighting each one and clicking the enter key while the text is chosen, the word AUTO should now reveal the hard drives hardware ID number. If this is the case, the BIOS has successfully detected your hard drive.

You need to save any detections or changes to the CMOS by choosing F10, this prompts a box to open asking if you want to save the changes to the CMOS and exit, at this prompt, you type Y for yes, the BIOS screen will exit and reboot the computer.

If your hard drive still fails to work, you may have a data cable problem, sometimes un-plugging the cable at both the drive and motherboard and re-plugging it back in corrects some problems with hard drives not being detected.

Note: SATA hard drives are a bit different, in the BIOS they would be SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2.

So for SATA you have to look for those options in your BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 October 2010 - 01:06 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Ok thanks Mrbruce I will work on this this weekend....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users