Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framework Reinstalling Daily

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hiker51

hiker51

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Last week I downloaded and installed Nero Multimedia Suite 10 for a free 15 day trial. After downloading the program, InstallShield informed me that I also needed to download and install 11 other programs, including .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and MSI 4.5 for Windows XP, which I did.

Immediately after installing all the programs, a Windows update notification appeared in my tray. The updates were all for .NET 2.0 and 3.0 (KB, 979909, KB982168, KB2418241, KB983583 and KB982524). Every time I installed them the notice reappeared shortly thereafter. I rebooted and installed them a fourth time and the notification again reappeared. So I tried it the next morning after my regularly scheduled search by Automatic Updates and the notification still reappeared. Also, as soon as I wake my computer up each morning, the updates reinstall.

Yesterday I uninstalled Nero and .NET 3.5 SP1, and cleaned up my registry with Registry Mechanic. That finally got rid of the notification in my tray but .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 3.0 SP2 installed again this morning as soon as I woke my computer up. Each time this happens it makes approximately 450 registry changes, according to Registry Mechanic. Event Viewer tells me that MSI Installer, ASP.NET and Windows Update Agent are working during the daily installation.

Although it looks like updates are being installed, the size of the .NET 2.0 SP2 installation is 7997 MB and .NET 3.0 SP2 is 586 MB, according to Revo Uninstaller. This takes about five minutes each time it happens.

I know I have one program that needs .NET Framework 1.1. I don't know if I have any other programs that require .NET Framework. And I don't know if 2.0 and 3.0 were previously installed or if they installed with 3.5 and the five updates; Revo just tells me the date of the most recent installation of 2.0 and 3.0, which is always today.

Besides being very annoying, the number of daily registry changes is more than a little unsettling. If anyone can offer a solution to this problem, I'd be very grateful.

System:
Windows XP Pro SP3
Biostar TForce 550 MB
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
3 GB DDR2-800
Gigabyte GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Edited by hiker51, 21 October 2010 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

I'll try to clarify :thumbsup:.

NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 are needed by few systems. I have seen owners of MCE systems make the assertion that they need 1.1.

NET Framework 3.5, SP1...includes elements of 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. Installing it will install those elements whether the original versions of those components are installed or not.

Critical updates to any version of NET Framework...come out all the time. These should be installed. If it appears that you have installation problems with such...the best I can suggest is to just wait it out, they will install normally.

In the event that they actually don't install...I would suspect that your versions of NET Framework may be corrupted...but I would not leap to that conclusion.

As for Windows Updates...MS has been trying to make it the perfect utility for years...we aren't there yet :flowers:.

Louis

#3 hiker51

hiker51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Louis,

From what you're telling me, I'd say that I probably have an incomplete installation of .NET Framework, which could appear to be corrupt. I'm pretty sure that 2.0 and 3.0 were installed along with 3.5. If that's the case, it sounds like only part of 2.0 and 3.0 were installed. By uninstalled 3.5, I would have orphaned the parts of 2.0 and 3.0 that were installed with 3.5 and should therefore uninstall 2.0 and 3.0 with the assumption that I don't need them for anything and that they're probably confusing Windows Update.

Does that make sense? If I do that will I have to find the update files and delete them to prevent Automatic Updates from continuing to install them?

Edited by hiker51, 21 October 2010 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users