Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security & AntiVirus Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hello!
I just had to have windows reinstalled and the security/anti-virus program the gentleman installed is Microsoft Security Essentials. Previously I was using Norton, Spybot and ad-aware. The tech told me he thought that (MSE) would work just as well as what I was using. Does anyone have experience with comparison of these programs.
Thanks!...........{Dave}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

I personally don't like Norton, it has had a tendency in the past to not play well with others. I haven't read anything bad about MSE, but I haven't heard anything positive about it either yet. I prefer Avast, this is freeware as well.

What are you using for a firewall?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Not a Norton fan either. Used to be a resource hog. While I have heard that has changed in newer versions I still find it to be very proprietary and can cause unseen problems not easily tracked down.

MSE has gotten fair to good reviews from what I have seen.
IMO, if you want a set and forget type of AV then MSE may be the way to go. If you do`t mind tweaking and customizing to your need`s then I`m with dc3.
I run Avast free on all my PCs and is among those I recommend to Clients.

#4 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info... I did have a virus some time ago that Norton would detect, but couldn't do anything to prevent or remove it.
That's how I was tuned into "Bleeping Computer". I know that no anti-virus program is 100% successful - but it's nice to know of those that people have had good experience with.

For firewall I am using the one that comes with windows XP.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

If you have recently uninstalled Norton through add/remove programs you should follow that up by running Norton Removal Tool to clean up the remnants.

Personally, I use Avast, MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntispyware and recommend them to all my clients.
The ones that run them routinely are not having any problems.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users