Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This might be a silly question, but.......

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

I have been experiencing vandalism at my house. Now that I finally caught neighborhood kids on the security camera, I need to submit JPEG still camera images, written logs, moving camera footage, digital photos of damage, etc. This is all saved on my desktop. So I figured it might make it easier for the police dept if I put all of this on a CD.

I was wondering if law enforcement could somehow use these CD images and files to see what personal stuff I have stored on my hard drive in the past. In other words, could the files and images I put on the the CD be used by them to snoop on my computer or even my past online surfing habits? I guess I am looking at the privacy thing here. I know it sounds like a silly question, but who knows what kind of technology is out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rusted-Knight

Rusted-Knight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

The short answer is no.

The long answer is also no. The only thing law enforcement has access to from the files you put on that CD are the files that you put there. Now, if for some reason you are using steganography to hide something suspicious in the files you are putting on that CD then yes they can eventually have access to this info. In order for law enforcement to have access to the files on your computer would be for them to present you with a warrant and investigate your computer's history. Remember hacking is illegal and just because you put some simple files on a CD does not mean you are giving them unquestioned access to your computer. You can relax. Whatever it is you do not want law enforcement to know about is perfectly safe as long as you are careful to only put on that CD what is needed to prove your case. Of course I do NOT condone any illegal acts however I do understand your privacy concerns.

Look at it this way. When you buy a piece of software and install it are you granted access to every program that company has ever written or do you just get what you pay for? Essentially you are asking the same question.

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

Thsnks for your answer. It's nothing illegal I'm trying to hide. Really just personal stuff and my business affairs. I just value my privacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users