Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving 5+ external drives into one tower...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zurrco

Zurrco

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

I have several external hard drives that I want to open up and mount in a tower to de-clutter my desk and for ease of access. The drives are being used for file storage/access. Each drive will only be accessed by 1-2 computers at any given time. Right now they are all connected to one desktop via USB. I have my wireless network configured so I can access them from my other computers. I would like to have them separate from the desktop but still accessable through the network. I have some ideas but not sure what my options are. Any ideas are much appreciated.
The PC, Taking OCD to a new level since 1976

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Sounds like you are looking for NAS = Network Accessible Storage.

Example purposes only. > NAS This is for a single hard drive. But it will give you an idea. Multiple drive enclosures are available. At an increased price of course. :thumbsup:

#3 Zurrco

Zurrco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

After looking around and seeing some pricing....I've decided to build my own NAS. I already have most the parts and besides, I think it'll be a fun project. It'll certainly be cheaper than buying one outright. Thanks for the tip!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Your :thumbsup:

One other suggestion while researching your build. To help increase the life expectancy of the hard drives and the data contained on them try to work at least one fan into the build.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

disregard. :thumbsup:

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 October 2010 - 08:47 PM.

#6 Zurrco

Zurrco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

Speaking of fans, check out the fan on this thing. "http://www.amazon.com/10-Bay-Computer-Case-550W-9-84-Inch/dp/B00166KBDS" That's a new one on me.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Now that`s a fan. :thumbsup: But, not really where it will do the most good for a NAS application. The hard drives are mounted in the lower front part of the case. While that fan will help to introduce cooler air into the case it will primarily only help cool the mobo = chip set, processor, and video card before being drawn out the back.
IMO, the main heat concern for your application need`s to have air moving front to back. I can see in the pictures that the there is a place in the rear of the case to add what looks like a 120mm fan. Can`t tell if the case will accept a fan in the lower front or not.
These would be the two areas of biggest concern in my mind.
Hard drives do produce heat. That case has 6 3.5" bays, where the drives will mount. There is little or no room between them for air flow. 5.5" to 3.5" adapters can be bought which will allow the drives to be mounted where optical drives would normally go. That will allow better spacing between them for better cooling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users