Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LCD Television

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lastx

lastx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

About a year after I bought this DYNEX LCD TV half the screen has decided that it wants to have a green tint over the picture... Why? Can this be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

Since you're asking here, I assume "about" a year means on the out-of-warranty side of the year?

Partial tints in an LCD are usually either in the LCD panel, or the circuitry that drives it, which most commonly is the mainboard itself, but also includes LVDS (Low Voltage Digital Signalling) interconnection that can cause color aberrations if it's faulty.

Can you describe the occurrence of the tint more precisely? Is it constant; sharp straight division between tint & normal or vague shape; at one side, top/bottom etc? Did it happen suddenly?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 lastx

lastx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

If it will help.
Directly down the middle (vertically) the right half of the screen you can see a green mask over the picture. The TV didn't do this until the warranty expired and. At first it was just every once and a while but now it is constant. It is really hard to watch anything now and I appreciate your input.

#4 lastx

lastx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:41 AM

Posted Image
On occasion if I'm lucky as I'm flipping through channels the green will go away for a second or two

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,803 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:31 AM

With the abrupt division, it is certainly a column drive fault - unfortunately as the drive is digital data outside of the LCD panel in almost every design, it's not simple to prove the location. My instinct first goes to the LCD panel, prohibitively costly to repair. As a technician, I would first check continuity, clean and re-fit the LVDS loom, to eliminate a most-significant bit transmission fault, which can lose half of an address space. Beyond that, substitution of the mainboard would be the usual elimination process, but some designs have external drive boards as well.

If the fault is the LCD panel, you may be able to successfully plead implied warranty with the retailer or manufacturer, for unacceptably short life of an unfeasibly expensive component. You would probably need to consult local Consumer Protection regulators, as consumer protection provisions will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction (e.g lemon laws).

Edited by Platypus, 21 October 2010 - 01:34 AM.

#6 lastx

lastx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

You sound like you know your stuff. Thanks for the advise. :thumbsup:

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,803 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

You're welcome. I hope you're able to get the problem sorted out without big expense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users