Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion dv9715nr laptop monitor, optical drive and certain ports failure

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 assembler01

assembler01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

bleepingcomputer.com

I have been having problems with my HP Pavillion dv9715nr laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. There were several problems that all seem to be related, but theoretically could be independent. I first noticed over a year ago the dvd drive (TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632N ATA lightscribe dvd+-rw) wasn't working. I couldn't get it to work again but didn't think much of it because I could still use the computer without it. Then the computer seemingly refused to boot. I even tried booting into safe mode and it would get stuck at crcdisk.sys for at least up to several days, no successful boot. Randomly, one day it got stuck for a minute and then continued into safe mode. I quickly checked to make sure all my files were ok and made a restore point and backed up as much stuff as I could. I could finally keep getting into safe mode (even with networking) but I couldn't boot up normally until I played around with msconfig. I tried turning all the programs on and off one by one until I figured out the computer would boot normally only if I disabled the NVidia Display Driver Service. The optical drive still did not work though. I even had ubuntu installed with wubi and the optical drive did not work there either. I ran every possible virus scanner/rootkit finder I had and the free online ones available. There were one or two minor infections in unimportant files but nothing to suggest what the problem was and no fix. I updated windows and all my antivirus software completely up to date. I figured out I could plug my laptop into my tv via the s-video port and the tv always works now as a monitor, even when the screen goes out.

At the same time, I occasionally had problems with some of my usb ports not recognizing flash drives or external hard drives. Sometimes they worked in safe mode but not in normal mode. The media card slot would not work with my SD cards for a long time.

Once I seemed to fix the problem (all except the DVD drive) by reinstalling the video drivers. The problem would come back then though. Sometimes the screen would go back out after installing some Windows Updates. However, installing more Windows Updates or reinstalling the video drivers would sometimes restore it! One time, the best advance I have made so far, I ran a kaspersky boot usb flash drive scan and everything worked (screen, dvd drive and SD etc...) until the screen saver came on and the dvd drive no longer worked again (disappeared from My Computer and Device Manager). I have since tried that again multiple times, as well as a boot AVG scan and still the screen and DVD drive are out. I fixed it once using combofix but they went out again and I have since repeated that without success multiple times. I once fixed the screen by hitting F9 to enter the BIOS menu and it magically turned back on, but that does not work anymore. I even tried reformatting and restoring my computer to factory state with the recovery partition (while the screen and DVD drive were out) and it didn't have any effect. I've run a boot virus scan again several times as well. I have checked the DVD drive connections and there appear to be no problems. I even took apart the screen and made sure nothing was disconnected. The DVD drive has no special drivers, it just uses the standard Windows cdrom drivers and should be autodetected (I contacted both the manufacturer and HP).

It almost seems as if it were a virus infection as I fixed it once with kaspersky boot and once with combofix. However, I have since repeated those as well as some others and the problem persists. I would have thought it was a hardware problem (broken screen, dvd drive, usb ports and SD/media slot) but they all came back to life at various points, only to disappear again sometimes over and over. Note, BIOS does not detect the optical drive either, but it does spin up if you put a disk in. Does anyone know if all of these problems are related? Is there a way to further diagnose the problem? I may have forgotten to mention some of the fixes I've tried as I've been working on this for over a year but if anyone has any ideas, please discuss further. I really want to try plugging this optical drive and monitor somehow into another laptop to see if they work there but I have no way of trying that now.

Thank you all so much. I hope someone has seen this before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users