Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo rescue & recovery crash w/xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phl

phl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi, I have a 5yr old Lenovo R50e laptop 1842st, x86, 1.60 Ghz, 512MB, with xp sp3; and I recently started getting Blue Screen warning that shuts down my system due to possible severe problem. I was then redirected to Microsoft site that said there was severe problem threat with Lenovo Rescue and recovery and to upgrade.
I went to the site and downloaded XP version of upgrade tvtrnr423_016en.exe; but could not install without uninstalling old version.
BEFORE I uninstall Rescue & Recovery w/Rapid Restore (Ultra 4.0 per Access IBM R&R) I'd like to know if this is the right thing to do. When I read the ReadMe and Download instructions for this download, it states it is only compatible with Client Security Solution 8.0 or later and with R&R versions 3.1,4.0,4.1,4.2 and 4.21. The R&R, thru control panel properties shows ver 1.00.0033.04.
I don't want to uninstall original version unless this applies.
1) Is this the right upgrade? How can I tell Client security version? and Original R&R ver?
2) Do I need to do anything else, based on my setup then uninstall original R&R, and then reinstall new ver 4.23? (Currently 17GB free of 32GB total)
3) I also googled lenovo Rescue & Recoery upgrades and have found "major" problems with the upgrade. (Doing complete reinstalls, lack of space/repartion, etc.)
4) Is it necessary? Can I continue to function with this threat hole? I use PC/web personally, minimally, and keep Norton Insternet security up to date. I use the backup utitily periodically using USB device and occasionaly "Copy" my documents, instead of backing up. I have only, fortunately, had to use the system recovery once a couple of years ago for a virus; doing a complete reinstall at that time (no XP CDs came with system).
5)Is this the right place to post this request?
Thanks for any help on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

Please post a link to this Microsoft directive.

Louis

#3 phl

phl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

What Microsoft directive link?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

<<I was then redirected to Microsoft site that said there was severe problem threat with Lenovo Rescue and recovery and to upgrade>>

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users