Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc with no video- HDD runs & Video Card Fan spins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ram-Marty

Ram-Marty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 9150 with a NVidia GEForce 6series card. I think the model might be 6800xt for the card. When I turn the PC on, the hard drive spins and the Video card fan runs but I get no picture. I tried it with multiple monitors, both DVI and VGA and none have worked. I need some ideas. To buy a replacement card just to test, is kind of expensive and I'm not sure it is the problem (maybe the HDD?) so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem. This PC is approx 5 years old but has been in great shape until this problem occurred.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

Try to boot from any bootable CD, like the one to test hard drive:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

If you still have no picture, then the video card is busted.
Did you try to remove video card and try on-board video?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Ram-Marty

Ram-Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

Ok, tried the bootable and still got no image. So, I guess I'm buying a new video card.

:thumbsup: Thanks so much for all of your help.

Anyone want to suggest a good sub for a Nvidia 6800xt?

#4 Ram-Marty

Ram-Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

P.S. Forgot to add this ... you asked about on-board video, there is none on this motherboard, that I could find. The only on-board are usb and lan connections. It's one of those XPS desktops.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

It looks like the card is busted. Sorry :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

When was the last time you cleaned out your computer, and got rid of the Dust Bunnies?

#7 Ram-Marty

Ram-Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

This PC belongs to a co-worker friend and he's meticulous. It's so clean inside, it's nicer than my kid's room. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users