Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Search" causes explorer.exe to eat up 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hajduk

Hajduk

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Windows XP Pro, SP3. Since the weekend, when I try run the Search function in MyDocs, it gets as far as a certain directory with a title beginning with "G" and starts chasing its own tail. Immediately explorer.exe goes ape and CPU usage hits 100%. Just quitting Search does not stop the problem; I have to use Task Manager to stop explorer.exe, and then reboot.

Search tells you what directory it's in (if any) but not what file, so I made a new directory and moved the files one at a time into it, running Search after each move. I got to the file that set it off when it was in the new directory and deep-sixed it. After removing the file, I ran Search again; it went through the "G" directory all right, but hung up in the same way on one beginning (appropriately) with "F." Since then it hangs on the original "G" directory, but it's obvious that the bad guy is not a single file; there's no point monkeying with the "G" directory if it's only going to go nuts in another one.

So where do I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users