My current set-up is: HP e9100z AMD Phenom II X2 545 Processor, 3.00 Ghz with 6.00 GB RAM running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, plugged directly into an Ambit Model No: U10C018 modem via Ethernet cable.
Internet was turned on Saturday (Oct. 16) and worked intermittently for the first 24 hours (you'd have to renew IP and reset Local Area Connection to get it to work. On Monday, things stopped working entirely, which is where my troubleshooting began.
- After calling the ISP, we determined that the computer's IP is 169.254.xx.xx. Which I have since discovered is bad juju. Renewing doesn't work (it says something along the line of DHCP did not respond. Please try your call again. [Although ipconfig/all says that it is, in fact, enabled.]), and unplugging the modem/rebooting the computer doesn't seem to want to work either.
- I have determined that it is not the modem/Ethernet cable, as awesome friend's laptop connects with no problem. I have uninstalled the Network Adapter (NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet if it matters) device and reinstalled it. (It also says "This device is working properly", but maybe it's lying.). I also Pinged 127.0.0.1
- I have also gone through Microsoft's "Fixit" program to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) which did not fix my problem, so they offered to charge me $49 dollars to "chat with someone".