Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I been 'hijacked?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 firemanfred

firemanfred

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hi

Can I say that I am a complete novice with computers.

I am running Windows xp home edition, service pack 3 on an intel pentium dual cpu E220 @2.40GHz
Motherboard--Foxconn G31 MX series
Bus type--PCI bus
Memory--4096mb
Bios-- Pheonix technologies--Bios v6.00pg

For the past week, programmes have been 'sticking', the computer slowing down, until yesterday when I clicked on a programme it was taking 15 - 20 seconds to respond. I decided to system restore, but then found it woudn't let me go back at all. I created a restore point for yesterday which, after checking today will let me go back to

I run Avast antivirus, which I ran and was clear, Malwarebytes Anti malware, which was clear, Super antispyware, again clear and finally ccleaner, which had a few registry issues but all cleared.

I have a windows security update which I must have run 10 times yesterday, each time completing but then appearing on the screen again 2 mins later.

I have deleted quite a few of my programmes which has made the computer a little faster but I think there is still a problem in there . Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Worth a read, IMO: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 firemanfred

firemanfred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thanks louis

Will check it all out tomorrow, would this cause system restore not to function and windows updates not to load even though they are enabled to update to the computer everyday?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hi

Can I say that I am a complete novice with computers.

and finally ccleaner, which had a few registry issues but all cleared.

I feel it's important to add this regarding a registry cleaner.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 firemanfred

firemanfred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

An update from 20/10/10, I have tried to system restoreand although it has given me three dates inc 20/10, when i tried it came back with unable to restore to all three dates. Cleaned inside and have taken on board 'bleepin Animinions advice but there is still problems with this computer, still can't download Microsofts updates.
Has anybody any suggestions?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

What error message...when you attempt to download via Windows Update?

Exact wording, please.

Louis

#7 firemanfred

firemanfred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:06 AM

Hi Louis

When I attempt to download windows updates, it says it has downloaded but then the windows shield appears at the bottom of the screen 1 min later--same updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users