Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown malware is blocking SpyBot, plus other bad stuff

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sousbois

sousbois

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hello. I run Windows XP, and I think I got infected when I unwittingly allowed a [possibly] bogus update to Firefox to proceed.

Spybot is completely unable to run.

Every time I click on a Google or other search engine results link I get redirected to an ad site (that has nothing to do with what I searched for), and certain other pages don't open at ALL (getting stuck on Google analytics showing on status line, then nothing else happens).

Have tried several methods shown here (Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Rkill, etc.) and nothing has gotten rid of it.

I also use AVG antivirus (free version) but this has no effect.

Sound board is not running... eralier I was able to reload the driver, but it kept going out and now nothing works.

Sometimes the internal wifi device does not run and requires a system reset (nothing else will get it started).

I DO NOT have an XP startup CD; never bothered to make one, and I bought the computer with XP installed; a CD was $100 extra, if I recall correctly.

Last day or two, system says it's run short of RAM and needs to start paging to disk... I recently upgraded RAM and so this is probably the malware at work.

Girlfriend's computer class teacher was going to help me., but his friend with an XP CD is unable to be reached, so that avenue is indefinitely postponed... I'm tired of having a sick computer, and want to learn how to deal with this myself, but I'm a little out of my depth here, and could use a little help and guidance. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users