Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I setup external HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robar

Robar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

My Hitachi T-1 External HD came without instructions. Their website didn't help. All I want to do is setup the HD for 3 computers without using compressed files. Two using Win XP and one using Windows 7. Laptop, Desktop, Laptop Work.
Can I just add one parent folder for each computer and manually (or automatically) replace the files as needed? Does the HD have to be formatted first? Any help is appreciated!

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Edited by Robar, 20 October 2010 - 12:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Most external hard drives are plug and play, meaning that all you have to do is plug it in, and it's ready to use. You should be able to transfer files right away onto the hard drive.

You can add a parent folder for each computer if you want, it's all up to personal preference.

Do you happen to know the current format of the hard drive? I would personally advise you to format the drive to NTFS if it is currently FAT32. FAT32 format restricts your maximum individual transfer file size to 4gb. It would be much safer to just format now before you starting transferring files so you do not have to deal with the issue later on.

If I did not completely answer your question, please let me know.

#3 Robar

Robar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Just one more thing, without documentation is there any way I can tell if it's formatted in NTFS?

#4 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Right click on "My Computer" or "Computer" if using windows 7. Then go to "Manage".

A new window should open up called "Computer Management". On the left side, under the "Storage" tree there should be "Disk Management".

Click on "Disk Management". From this sub-tree you should be able to see what "File System" your external hard drive is when plugged in.

If it is FAT32 and you wish to format it to NTFS, just right click on the external hard drive and click "Format". Follow the instructions, making sure to choose NTFS for "File system". Do note that the process will take a fairly long time.

If you have any questions let me know.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Of course...the 3 systems must be networked...and the drive must be shared...for each to have access via the network.

Since one of the systems has Win 7...when setting up the network, use "workgroup" rather than "mshome" as your XP workgroup.

http://lifehacker.com/5262706/setup-file-and-printer-sharing-from-xp-to-windows-7

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users