Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun ERUNT & UAC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have installed ERUNT to autorun on my Windows 7 laptop. Reading the ERUNT README.TXT the UAC slider control in Windows 7 must be set to the lowest position for ERUNT to autorun each day. I have confirmed this on my machine.

Are there any work arounds so ERUNT will run automatically with the slider control not set to the lowest position?

How significant are the risks running Windows 7 with the UAC in the lowest position? I am not really concerned about saving me from my own errors but am more concerned about the aspect of a malicious program being able to run with the screen not blacking out.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

You can try the following: Creating a ERUNT Service so that you do not need to have UAC Set low.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

You can set ERUNT.EXE, which you would find in %PROGRAMFILES%\ERUNT\ERUNT.EXE or similar folder, to always run in the Administrator mode bypassing the UAC prompt.

How to set a program to always in the Administrator mode
Making an application to always run elevated

Edited by Romeo29, 21 October 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the help.

I tried Romero's suggestion. I set all the executables in the %PROGRAMFILES (x86)\ERUNT\ folder and the shortcut in the start up folder to run as an administrator. With the UAC in the default setting (second highest) ERUNT now runs flawlessly in the manual mode but it still does not autorun upon start up each day. Any ideas?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

You can try the following: Creating a ERUNT Service so that you do not need to have UAC Set low.

Thanks for the help.

I tried Romero's suggestion. I set all the executables in the %PROGRAMFILES (x86)\ERUNT\ folder and the shortcut in the start up folder to run as an administrator. With the UAC in the default setting (second highest) ERUNT now runs flawlessly in the manual mode but it still does not autorun upon start up each day. Any ideas?

Try my suggestion above.

#6 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Cryptodan,

Thanks for your suggestion. It appears that the the required files (Srvinstw.exe, sc.exe) are included with the Windows 7 publication "Resource Kit" that sells for $69 which I can't currently afford. Am I correct in that the required excutables must be purchased as part of the "Resource Kit"?

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

sc.exe comes with Windows 7.

Assuming you have ERUNT installed in C:\erunt\erunt.exe give this command :
sc create ERUNT start= auto binPath= "c:\erunt\erunt.exe" DisplayName= "ERUNT Service"

The command should be given in an elevated command prompt.

Edited by Romeo29, 26 October 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Use Task Scheduler

Automatically Backup your Windows 7/Vista Registry daily using ERUNT

#9 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thank You RedDawn! Success!! :huh:

I tried your suggestion since I was somewhat familiar with scheduling tasks. Following the instructions in the link you provided and rebooting resulted in a successful creation of the Autobackup folder with the registry hives.

The screen shot of the arguements for item 9 cut off the last command in the instruction provided in the link. Clicking on the text allowed me to scroll to the right to view the all the arguements.

The entire line of item 9 should read:
%SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# sysreg otherusers /noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow

Many thanks to RedDawn, Cryptodan and Romeo29 for the help.

#10 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Glad to help!

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users