Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faster XBOX LIVE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

If your xbox is hardwired via ethernet to your router then you are most likely getting the most speed you are going to get.

I've seen this question a lot regarding several different devices: computer/xbox/phone....

The device (xbox/computer) doesn't have a whole lot to do with how fast the Internet is. That is almost entirely dependent on your service provider.

In this case, AT&T is your service provider and you have DSL... which isn't very fast :_(

I'm assuming that AT&T's 3.0 DSL is 3mbps <---SLOW

3mbps is great for pretty much everything but gaming and it really wouldn't be that bad for gaming if there weren't people playing Halo with speeds that are faster than yours.

I can think of only a few things that would possibly increase your network performance...

Kick everyone else in your house off of their computer/xbox/wii/ps3 etc.. (anyone using the internet, try to boot em off; this is not a realistic solution)

Adjust your NAT settings to open (this may require some explaining if you don't know how to do it; which I would be happy to provide
^
\_______ NAT (Network Address Translation) is like magic. It can royally screw things up or it can be extremely helpful. It's basically a profile
in your router that gives it special rules for handling IP addresses, especially private ones that are trying to talk to one another
(like 2 xboxes). Your xbox will see the NAT settings on your xbox and give you feedback about those settings, telling you if it is Open,
Moderate, or Strict. For an xbox, you want your NAT to be open, but for something like a Windows computer you do not. XBOX is not
vulnerable to the same sort of attacks that a Windows based machine is so it's ok to manipulate the NAT to be open for your xbox.

If you would like me to explain how to OPEN YOUR NAT for your xbox, please post back with your ROUTER MAKE & MODEL/MODEL NUMBER
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 surf

surf

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

If you would like me to explain how to OPEN YOUR NAT for your xbox, please post back with your ROUTER MAKE & MODEL/MODEL NUMBER

I would love to know this......
router make & model = Etherfast Cable/DSL Router w/ 4 port switch BEFSR41

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you! Here it is...

How to Open the NAT Using a Linksys BEFSR41 router...

Before we begin, we need to collect some info about your xbox. So... turn on your xbox!

#1 Scroll up to the My XBOX tier... This is the vertical tier where you can play a game, access xbox live etc.

#2 Scroll all the way to the RIGHT until you find Settings and open it.

#3 From Settings, open Network Settings and choose Edit Settings

#4 Find the entry that is titled IP Address and make a note of it. (ex. 192.168.1.x)

The IP Address is important because we're going to tell the router that the XBOX's IP Address is special and should not be restricted by your NAT.

To begin configuring your Linksys BEFSR41 router...

#1 Open your web browser (IE, FF, Chrome, Opera etc.)

#2 Type into the address bar: 192.168.1.1
You should be taken to the GUI (Graphical User Interface) for your router. This is where you configure your router for all sorts of things! Most of the stuff your router does, it does on it's own so do don't change anything other than what I tell you to!!! mkay?

#3 You're going to be asked to log in. If you've never accessed this page before, the default log in credentials are as follows...

User/User Name: THERE ISN'T ONE. LEAVE IT BLANK!!!
Pass/Password: admin

#4 Once, you're logged in, there will be several menu options for you to choose from. Click the ORANGE ADVANCED TAB in the top right.

#5 Now in the advanced page, click the DMZ Host tab.

We are going to configure the xbox to run in the DMZ which is a virtual environment where anything is possible! It's dangerous to place a computer in here so for the love of God do not put your computers IP in the DMZ. YOU WILL GET JACK'D!

In the DMZ page, there is a place for you to insert the last digits of your IP address. Refer back to the XBOX IP Address you were supposed to make a note of and enter it into the active field. Once done, click Apply

You're xbox is now in the DMZ where NAT is NOT an issue. Most say that a restart of the router is not necessary but I don't believe in skipping steps.

Go back to the GUI home page and find the button that says Restart Router. Click on that and it'll tell you that it should take 45 seconds - 60 seconds to complete. Don't touch anything! Let it do it's job! Once it's done, you can close the browser.

You can now enjoy a faster XBOX Live and participate in some games that you may have previously been excluded from due to your strict NAT.

If you have two xbox's that you want to open the NAT for, you'll have to take different steps to configure the other as most routers usually only provide for one DMZ. If you would like instructions for configuring a second xbox on the same network, please let me know.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 tyya

tyya

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

thanks for sharing.

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

No problamo! This instruction set can be adjusted for any router type but the method is almost identical.

The IP (xxx.xxx.x.x) that you enter in the address bar of your browser to access the router GUI will be different for each brand.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

Pretty good guide except for one little thing.

In this case, AT&T is your service provider and you have DSL... which isn't very fast :_(

I'm assuming that AT&T's 3.0 DSL is 3mbps <---SLOW

3mbps is great for pretty much everything but gaming and it really wouldn't be that bad for gaming if there weren't people playing Halo with speeds that are faster than yours.

The speed of the DSL (granted its not a 128kbps/68kbps) has nothing to do with the lag of XBL. Anything better or equal to the lowest DSL (by ATT) 768kbps/128kbps will perform fine. What matters in gaming is the ping. Although DSL normally has a pretty good ping, it varies by location.

The ping will also be different depending on where you are and what you're connecting to. Some lag can't be avoided.

Otherwise, good guide.

#7 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Is it not true that your ping will be lower if your connection is faster?

Certainly the ping will be very high if you are in Alaska trying to connect to a host in England but would a faster connection not improve the ping between client and host?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Is it not true that your ping will be lower if your connection is faster?

Certainly the ping will be very high if you are in Alaska trying to connect to a host in England but would a faster connection not improve the ping between client and host?

Not true at all. It's not that uncommon for a cheap DSL connection to have ~25-30ms pings. Were cable from the same area is around 40-50ms.

Speed =/= ping times.

#9 DetterentTiger

DetterentTiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

I heard that there is a module that you can buy for the xbox that can help it run faster on live, is that true?

#10 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

The xbox has the older wireless G reciever, and the newer wireless N one, the wireless N being the faster of the two, when connecting to a wireless N router.

No other module exists as far as connecting to the internet goes for the xbox.

The use of the ethernet port can be upgraded via the other parts you use in your setup, for isntance, in cable, the motorola surfboard extreme provides faster speeds then most other modems, also providing gigabit connections, which is 10/100/1000. Using Cat 6 cables to connect everything together, instead of cat5 or cat5e will increase information speeds slightly, and using a wireless N router with wireless transfer speeds of 300mpbs like most of the newer dual band routers, will provide you with the best possible connections to your xbox, the downside is, the xbox has 10/100 ethernet ports, so you will be bottlenecked there.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Not true at all. It's not that uncommon for a cheap DSL connection to have ~25-30ms pings. Were cable from the same area is around 40-50ms

NpaMA, I dont necessarily agree. Although your statement CAN be correct, goose90proof logic usually prevails.

Here is why I beleive this:

I will use ATT for DSL and Comcast for cable.

If you took ATT and Comcast, left the servers at the locations they are today, which isnt the same location, and both pinged the same site, which we will use google as the site in ping, and both ISP servers were using the same speeds, say, 3mpbs, they would get diff pings.

Put ATT and Comcast at the same location and repeat the ping, you would get almost identical pings. Raise the connection speed of the Comcast to 6mbps, keeping ATT speeds and both locations at the same place, and Comcast would have a lower ping.

Now to clear it up, xbox has a main server which, creates a server hive, where any xbox user can create a lobby where a game is created and users connect to and play. The Ping Varies each game, even though your ISP and speeds, or location and speeds, dont. Reason is because each time your Ping is going to a different server, in xbox's case, a different users xbox. Depending on his connection speeds, it will increase or decrease your ping to his server. Im sure you have experienced this, when connecting to someone with minimal DSl speeds, compared to someone with a faster Cable connection.

Luckily, Call of Duty has server optimization to connect the users and give server HOST to the fastest of the connections :)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users