Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro SP2 maximum external drive size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 qtaqq

qtaqq

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

Does anyone know if Windows XP Pro SP2 32 and 64 bit is able to recognize a 1tb external hardrive using USB 2.0? Also if anyone has any recommendations that would help also, I was looking at Western Digital or Iomega, although on Amazon the review ratings seem misleading since it seems to assign the rating to every Western Digital or Iomega model regardless if the product model number varies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

XP and beyond will recognize 1tb and larger with no problem.

My only real recommendations regarding external hard drives are that they have a fan for cooling and an external power source. Not dependent on the USB port for power.

Please see reply to your similar question in Win98 forum regarding some drawbacks when using large capacity hard drives with older OS`s.

#3 dargx001

dargx001

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Western Digital puts out some of the better hard drives in the market, I would go with them. Though I agree with Qtaqq on the fact that it needs its own external power source.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

I like the Western Digital drives too. That is all I buy
Concur about the external power source as well.

Be sure to register the drive on the Western Digital website when you get it for warranty purposes.
Typically the warranty is 3 years.

Iomega used to be a big player back when they made Zip drives.
Have not dealt with their hard drives yet though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 qtaqq

qtaqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Ok thanks guys or gals, i'll have to pay attention to the description to make sure I get one with an external power source. I'll probably get one 120gb that hopefully will work with 98SE and then another one at 500gb-1tb depending on price and external power supplies to work with XP and Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users