Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i increase my internet speed somehow for gaming?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

the game i play mostly online is halo which is a shooter. i don't know for certain if this is true, but i feel like my somewhat weak internet connection makes my gaming experience online not as fun. i get lag in some game types while others don't. i'm pretty sure this affects performance and it gets frustrating. i am using at&t as my internet provider and am using the 3.0 speed since 6.0 is not available in my area. i'm using a wireless modem but my xbox360 is connected directly to it with a wire. is there some way i can maximize my speed? if someone has a better internet speed, does that give them an edge in playing online?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 qtaqq

qtaqq

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

I'm not entirely sure how ping works on gaming systems, but I know on computers with a higher ping it is harder to play against users that have lower pings than you. With a lower ping the other player is essentially seeing you before you see them. You could also be having lag spikes that make it hard to play. If you have other people in your house using your wireless internet on a computer this could cause your game connecion to lag. If they are downloading things, watching videos on youtube, or listening to internet radio these will degrade your connection. Also, with your wireless modem make sure it has a password to use it, otherwise you could have people living close to your house using your internet connection without your knowledge.

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Halo has poor netcode. You just have to deal with it on that game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users