Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet first redirects then won't show page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hobless

Hobless

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

(oh ps first ever post) Ok. So. Like I said in intro am very tired, have spent hours and hours on this, am sure will be redirected. Did read how to post problem though.. quickly.... and did search but nothing came up.

Current problem (I think): First, can't go to any web pages on Internet Explorer (but can on google chrome yay!) Downloading from site: res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm showing

Background:

Internet kept redirecting to other websites and not going to security websites (eg AVG free, spybot etc - would either say can't show or blocked by Trend or go back to google home page).

(Running Windows XP on Compaq presario purchased Jan 2009 running Trend micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2009 all the time) Do all Windows/HP updates etc

Contacted Trend as this seemed to be a virus sending them all redirection info (screen prints etc later on) Went through hijack this, house control, another and another (with Trend).... finally put onto technician who joined my computer and ran heaps more (took 2hours 16plus mins). Okay so then problem seemed solved so kept using computer not rebooting.

(oh and plus was upgraded to Trend Micro Titanium)

Now after turning it on, email fine, Trend updating, can use FileMaker to take orders for work (needs to be online) checked also with internet provider Optus - internet connection all seems okay, they said virus - Internet Explorer cannot show webpages at all. After much diligence managed to capture what happens everytime IE opens

Waiting for res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm...

Downloading from site: res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm then goes to

Then can't show page.

I'm hoping someone has gone áh hah! already (and why can't I show " without it turning into an umlaut over a letter????)

Fortunately in my desperation to fix problem had downloaded google chrome (to access Spydoctor, only way I could) (oh and tried AVG free and spybot too) can now access google chrome internet and go to websites - like this one!!!!!

I rang Trend again, they said ring Microsoft who said ring Compaq who said ring Harvey Norman who are now closed (office hours).

So now I've found I can go to this site - sorry - I thought I'd post my problem here. It's Wednesday night now, working all day Thursday so will go back on Friday (unless virus has figured out what I'm doing) and will call Trend again.

To recap: internet kept redirecting/blocking etc. Trend Micro ran full on everything over one week and many hours then finally put me onto a techy (who said he used bleepingcomputer himself when he had to so very happy to come here)who remoted to my computer took over and seemed to fix problem. Until restarting computer and trying IE cannot access any webpage.

So virus maybe?

Anyway, not expecting a response but will welcome one if it comes along and will check in again on Friday.

Goodnight!! And Thanks.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 October 2010 - 04:27 PM.
Move to AII from Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dargx001

dargx001

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

Well, for starters I would check your internet proxy settings in IE. Go to Control Panel, then Internet options. Click the connections tab, then click lan settings at the bottom. Check automatically detect settings, then uncheck use a proxy server box, if its checked. This should restore your internet connection in IE. The next thing I would do is run Malware bytes or Super anti spyware. Those should be able to find any virus that may be causing the problem.

#3 Hobless

Hobless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi Dargx thanks so much for your reply. Have done what you suggested when problem first arose but haven't run super spyware. Trend ran the malware and coolfix i saw on this site. I am considering doing a system restore and have scanned the BP manual (till Ädvanced"because I'm not). The problem started in October so am thinking of restoring from September (or January if need be!). Just wondering if the virus (It has to be) might have wormed it's way in and doing a restore won't help.

This is probably the wrong forum to ask, and have noticed many redirect virus forums which I'm reading. Just so tired of dealing with this over many many hours (sure I'm not alone - computers!!!). So just that one question re system restore - should I? is it 100% fail safe or should I plug on trying to resolve the issue.

Thank you kindly.
Hana

Oh and Trend won't update anymore. Please tell me if I need to post elsewhere with my general question on system restore. Thank you.

Edited by Hobless, 25 October 2010 - 08:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users