Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is either my Mac or the router infected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Amanda123

Amanda123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hi. I've had this problem off and on for the last two weeks or so: I'm happily on the net checking e-mail, google searching, friends' blogs, ETC and then suddenly some of the sites won't load. I'm still connected to the internet because other sites continue to load. Although typically it's the most heavily-used sites (e.g., Google) that end up not loading, occasionally it's a small site, like a friend's wordpress blog or something.

Specs:
Mac OS 10.6.4
Connected through wireless router (this might be the problem)
[EDIT]: mostly using Safari, still getting the same errors from the most up-to-date Firefox browser.

Anyways. At first, I tried restarting the router and that did nothing, so I found a mac forum that told me to flush cache, e.g. Terminal > dscacheutil -flushcache. That works to resolve the immediate problem, but yesterday and today I have had to use this command several times (not once every day or two like I have been doing the last couple of weeks).

I don't own any anti-virus software because I've always been told I shouldn't worry on a mac. I don't think I have a local Trojan DNS changer because when I ran:

/usr/sbin/scutil --dns | grep nameserver

I got:
nameserver[0] : 192.168.2.1
(my router)

However, I don't know if this means my router might still have an issue? As a new user, I'm also not quite sure where to put this topic post if I don't qualify for the "Am I infected?".

What are my next steps to figuring out this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Amanda123, 20 October 2010 - 04:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amanda123

Amanda123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

OK, just had to flushcache AGAIN because this website wouldn't load.... anyone???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users