Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:28 PM

Ok guys, im sure you've seen this message before.

Computer :
Windows XP professional Sp2
P4 2.6ghz
3.0gb memory
Fx5200 video card
Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition. 8.0

Alright, So my computer has been randomly shutting itself down. I would check the event log after it booted back up, and it said that the system has just restarted after a bug check.

BUT, the majority of times that it shut down was when my AV was trying to scan the machine.
So I thought it could possibly be a virus.

But I also read somewhere that having "bad" memory might cause this, Does anyone know of a way to test the memory (ram) to see if its stable?

And i really cant try any options, cause the Comp is pretty much gone. Cant boot into safe mode, the last known good configuration. I cant even boot into the UBCD4Win Program.

The Blue Screen error that i get now is 0x00000024

Basically this post is to try and find out if theres any ways for me to test the memory to see if its stable, and that in fact it was a virus.

Well thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

Use Everest home to see if your RAM is stable.

Edited by acklan, 19 November 2005 - 12:39 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

You can try Memtest to check your memory.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users