Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

download an XP bootable Cd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bass Boy

Bass Boy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

My PC crashed and shows a "Loading PBR for descriptor 2... done" error when booting. Then it goes to a gray screen & locks up. From the research I've done so far, it appears I have a partition boot record issue. Everybody says i need to boot from my XP Cd & then repair the boot record. Only problem is that when I try to boot from the original CD, it loads and then goes to the blue screen of death. I've read that you can only boot from a CD that has the same service pack number as what is on the machine. I've upgraded to SP3 & it's the original CD so this may be the problem. I need to find a downloadable XP bootable CD image & I can't find one. Any ideas? Thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

You could add the recovery console and try a

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic138692.html

MBR
Invalid Partition Table
Missing Operating System
Error Loading Operating System
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- fixmbr (try to boot)

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dargx001

dargx001

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

Ok, so if you have a XP cd and you want to do a windows repair installation, it is recommended to have the same service pack disc, as the same service pack on the computer. Though what it sounds like is that your computer may have AHCI as a SATA operation mode set. This would be one of many things that could cause a problem when trying to boot from the installation cd. The recovery console is the best way to go, as that is what you will be using once you get into the windows disk. Though you can only install it if you can get into windows. Another disc I would try if you have another computer to download it and burn it, I would try using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. It has the recovery console built into the options when you first boot the CD, and is typically not effected but the SATA operation mode.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

<<I've upgraded to SP3 & it's the original CD so this may be the problem. I need to find a downloadable XP bootable CD image & I can't find one.>>

If...you truly have a MS Genuine XP CD...you can easily update it by slipstreaming to SP3...and thereby facilitate a repair install or running of the sfc /scannow command...or run the Recovery Console commands.

Not every CD is a Genuine MS XP CD...restore/recovery CDs issued by OEMs (Gateway, HP, etc.) do not function in the same manner for repair purposes or reinstallation purposes.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users