Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PTwake04

PTwake04

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

I have been having issues with my home built HTPC. Every once in while (maybe once every 2-3days) my computer shuts down unexpectedly. It never does this while I am watching TV on it or browsing the internet. It normally does this at night or during the day after it has gone into sleep mode.

I am running windows 7 64bit

hard drive:WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM:Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G

Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

When the blue screen pops up the first line reads: "kernel page data input error".

I did copy the problem signature that windows displays:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7a
BCP1: 0000000000000020
BCP2: FFFFFFFFC000009D
BCP3: FFFFFA80067727C8
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\101910-46753-01.dmp
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-83476-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I am unaware of what is causing this issue. it may be bad RAM or the hard drive. If any on happens to have any input please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

how many ram slots do you have and are any empty? Have you tried reseating the ram to make sure you get the click sound? also, is the ram the same speed as your front bus? How much cas latency can the board handle, that ram is cl 7 I believe.

Edited by thrillhouse, 19 October 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#3 PTwake04

PTwake04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

how many ram slots do you have and are any empty? Have you tried reseating the ram to make sure you get the click sound? also, is the ram the same speed as your front bus? How much cas latency can the board handle, that ram is cl 7 I believe.

I have 2 slots that are empty. I did remove the RAM about a month ago and reseated it firmly. I still get the shutdown.

The Cas latency for my RAM is 5. I am unsure what Cas the board can handle. I will have to check out Gigabytes website. The FSB speed is 2600 mhz.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

Ok, is it double or quad pumped? I am trying to see if your ram is the right speed and to know that I need to know more about the system. Which processor does it have? If the clock speed of the ram does not match the clock speed of the system you can have issues. Might not be the problem if you have the right stuff but definitely something to change if you don't because it needs to be right to be stable under heavy stress.

#5 PTwake04

PTwake04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

Ok, is it double or quad pumped? I am trying to see if your ram is the right speed and to know that I need to know more about the system. Which processor does it have? If the clock speed of the ram does not match the clock speed of the system you can have issues. Might not be the problem if you have the right stuff but definitely something to change if you don't because it needs to be right to be stable under heavy stress.

IT is a quad core AMD II Athlon X4 2.9GHz 2.0Mb cache.

How do I check the clock speed? Do I have to go into the BIOS to check the clock speed?

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

that is confusing too. you have to divide by the multiplier. they used to be the same, now to get crazy speeds like 2.9 Ghz they speed the chip up internally so the inside is 2900 Mhz. Take a look at your exact model of chip and look it up. From looking at wikipedia it looks like you have the Regor chip, which has a multiplier of 14.5

So 2900 / 14.5 is a speed of 200 Mhz for your front side bus (before fsb multipler). Here is an analogy I found on Yale's site:

A car drives down the local streets at 25 miles per hour. Then it turns onto a highway ramp and accelerates to 55. Is there one road system, or two? The important thing is that there is a connection that allows a flow of traffic between the two speed zones. So data may flow from the CPU to the Northbridge at 6400 megabytes/second and then queue up to flow down the PCI bus at 133 megabytes/second. The effective data rate will be the slowest bus speed, but data can flow from any device to any other device.

So in your case, you need memory that is not going slower than fsb for max data transfer without going over.

ddr2 is named by actual clock speed x2 (ddr = double dynamic ram), then x2 again (don't remember why).

So your system clock is 200 Mhz and your memory clock is (1066 / 2 / 2 = 266) 266 Mhz. I suggest trying ddr2-800 (800 / 2 / 2 = 200 Mhz) instead, maybe this will help.

I also will read about the open slots in the board and whether they need to be filled. I used to know but can't recall, it is late and my brain is not working to well now. If you can get hands on ddr2-800 I would give it a shot. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows more than me.

#7 PTwake04

PTwake04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the help you obviously know more than I do. I'll see if I can't get some different RAM.

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Haha, ok. Post back if it doesn't fix the problem and read reviews of the ram you get before you buy.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

I just tested it out by going to crucial.com and using the wizard and it came up with ddr2-800 as a recommendation for me.

My cpu is 1600 Mhz and multiplier is 8 so this is how I figured it out without the wizard.

The 1600 Mhz is inside the chip. Outside, it can only go 8 times slower, or 200 Mhz. So if I look at ddr2 ram I need some with an internal clock that is the same speed to be in synch with the system clock that is running both cpu and ram (200 Mhz).

Anyway, ddr stands for double data rate and it just means that it works twice every time the system clock cycle. So 200 Mhz ram clock speed would be 400 Mhz doubled. The ram bus speed is twice as fast as this and theoretically runs at 800 MT/s (megatransfers per second), or simply ddr2-800.

So for your computer you have a 2900 Mhz cpu and multiplier of 14.5 so your clock speed (and fsb speed before it's multiplier) is 200 Mhz, so this is why I also came out with pc2-800 speed ram for you. If you want to double check go to http://www.crucial.com and see what the wizard says.

Here is a chart to help with the math and convert from crucials ram speeds (pc2-xxxx) to ram chip speed (ddr2-xxxx): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Specification_standards

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 October 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#10 PTwake04

PTwake04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the help. It has really been shutingdown alot latley. I am going to order a couple sticks of ddr2-800.

Also is there anything you can do to configure the cpu clock speed that would allow the current ddr2-1066 to work? I'm not sure if that makes sense. I know that you cN change the cpu clock speed but I not capable and confident enough to do that.

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

I wouldn't mess with it and the front bus speed is what the ram needs to match anyway. Good luck and let me know if the new ram doesn't work, hopefully it does though

#12 PTwake04

PTwake04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

I just ordered some more RAM it will be in early next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users