Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Hard Drive Not Detected In Windows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lnepoe888

lnepoe888

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:53 AM

I recently got a new SATA Hard Drive to use as storage. Since my computer didn't have SATA, I also got a controller card.

Hard Drive is a Samsung SpinPoint P80SD Series HD160JJ
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...prod_id=HD160JJ

The Controller Card is a SYBA SDSATA-150R
http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/03/index.html

My Motherboard is an ABIT NF-7 (the original)

BTW: You will notice the drive is SATA2 (3Gb/s) and the card is SATA1 (1.5Gb/s). There is a jumper which I set to make it work at 1.5Gb/s
I also heard that I could disconnect my IDE hard drive, load up the drivers using the F6 option and format windows with my install CD (or even install it and format it later back to a blank drive). Would that work?

How would make this hard drive be detected by Windows?
Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:46 PM

Have you formatted and partitioned the new drive?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

Well, when I turn on the computer it says Press F4 to enter RAID config utility. (This is rite before (after?) the POST)

I did and then selected Low Level Format. It started formatting, got to 100% and rebooted, I let it boot into Windows and nothing.

Windows still does not see the drive.
Is there a program in windows I can use?

BTW: Partition Magic doesn't see the drive either.

Edited by lnepoe888, 19 November 2005 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

Is the drive recognized in the Bios? Is the controller card seen in Device Manager?

Disk Management is a system utility for managing hard disks and the partitions or volumes that they contain. With Disk Management, you can initialize new disks, create volumes, and format volumes with the FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file systems. Disk Management enables you to perform most disk-related tasks without shutting down your computer; most configuration changes take effect immediately.

Using Disk Management

Perhaps that will help.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

Is the drive recognized in the Bios? Is the controller card seen in Device Manager?

Yes and yes even though the drive isn't detected in the Disk Management (even after I did rescan disks)

Edited by lnepoe888, 19 November 2005 - 10:20 PM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:40 PM

Raid? What type of Raid did you choose?

If I understand correctly if you chose Raid zero your C: drive would be spread across both harddrives now and you won't see any new drives in windows. But then I didn't think you could do Raid across different interfaces, so I'm probably wrong. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 19 November 2005 - 10:40 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:49 PM

As far as I no I didn't pick RAID and I don't want it. Is there anyway to check if RAID is there?

BTW: in the Config Utility in the BIOS it says no RAID pair (group?) exists.
Well it's not in the Mobo BIOS... it's in the Card BIOS.

What's could prevent Windows from seeing the drive?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

I've never used a SATA plug-in controller so I don't know how you set it up.
You said you did a low level format - where did you find the utility to do that? Was this part of the utilities that came with the card?
If so look for a partitioning utility. Windows will not 'see' a drive (well maybe Disk Management will) until it has a partition defined on it (NTFS, Fat32 or whatever you choose) and you wont see a drive letter in 'My Computer' until you have formatted that partition. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

Yes it was in a utility that came with the card. (the hard drive is OEM)

Now for some reason for some reason instead of saying "Samsung HD160JJ" and "Press F4 to enter RAID setup" it says "Press F4 to enter RAID setup" and "No device detected" :thumbsup:

And no, there was no partiotioning option in the utility.

UPDATE: Finnally got files off the CD that came with card.. my DVD-ROM drive coundn't read it. So I used my old comp to read/burn them. Will try to reinstall off CD/ install the update...

Edited by lnepoe888, 20 November 2005 - 02:23 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

You should not have made the RAID election nor entered the RAID BIOS...if you don't employ a RAID.

I would try entering the RAID BIOS...and eliminating any partial setups that may exist.

Louis

#11 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

When I went into the RAID utility it said no RAID group exists.
Any other suggestions??
Do you think its the hard drive's fault or the controller's?

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

Did those files you got off the CD include a manual?
I think you should uninstall the card (remove it from Device Manager) and start again. Don't bother with a low level format this time.

According to the link you gave those cards need to be treated like a RAID controller even if they are not going to be used as one -

Q: Can the RAID card work as a regular IDE controller?
A: Yes, it can. Our SIL680 RAID card has ATA133 + RAID function. If you don't create any RAID set, the card will work as ATA133 card but you still have to install the SIL680RAID driver and you will see this message "Press F3 to enter RAID Utility" during every startup of the computer.

- this refers to an IDE controller (they don't have a support page for the SATA controller!).

and this curious statement -

How can I flash the bios from Raid controller to Non raid?
If you have already bought raid controller and you do not use the raid function. Please contact with us for bios to flash. Donít try and download it from other web sites. If you do something wrong, the controller wonít work again.

- neat! I'm going to rush out and buy one of these. :thumbsup:

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Not to be discourteous, but...you did install the card according to the right set of instructions in the user's manual, right?

Louis

#14 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Yes hamluis I did, word for word. Cept I used drivers off site instead of CD because my DVD drive couldn't read it for some reason...

What do you suggest me to do?

EDIT: Turns out I plugged it in right the 1st time, and wrong the second time. Card now detects hard drive, but windows stil won't see it. Will try the Computer Manager again then reistalling the card.

BTW: Rimmer how did you connect your SATA drive?

Edited by lnepoe888, 21 November 2005 - 08:41 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

I've found that the drivers for SATA drives are very, very picky. If you don't use the exactly correct ones, then the drive won't work.

On my system, I ended up using the SATA drivers from the CD - because they were the only one's that would work (Asus mobo) - even the downloads from the Asus site refused to work!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users